Tuesday, November 01, 2022

Frustration In The Sewing Room

 Yesterday was another warm day with a high of 18.6C. This morning it is 12C and we are to have showers. The high is to get to 17C.

Lifestyle

I didn't want to move yesterday morning but I did. I moved the car out of the garage and swept the grass off the driveway. From there, I started to set up the decorations in the garage for trick or treating. Later in the afternoon daughter-in-law arrived and we finished it off. 

There were 2 carved pumpkins outside the garage. We wore face masks when handing out candy for safety reasons. The best costume this year was a raven that looked realistic. The cutest was a child of about 18 months old dressed as a skeleton who had to come inside the garage and touch Mr. Bones and the wall hanging. She loves skeletons. 

We had fewer people this year. But those who came got dressed up including parents. They stand around on our street (which we block off to traffic) and visit, particularly at our end of the street. This year we heard 2 men discussing the sign on our shed. It reads "Grumpy's Garage". It will eventually go onto son's garage. Grandson called the Spousal Unit "Grumpy" rather than Grandpa. There was a huge lull at almost 7:30 p.m. and we started to clean up. The car was in the garage by 7:45 p.m. The street was almost empty. We were tired and done. It works well if I do the basic set up in the morning and daughter-in-law comes later to finish up. No one has a lot to do but we both get to take part in the decorating. 

My knee was sore from doing so much yesterday morning and then the cold last night. I laid in bed and stretched it 4-5 times to ease the pain. It worked nicely thought it hurt while doing it. I also put the hot water bottle on it. It isn't too sore this morning. 

Sewing

I've almost finished the 3rd placemat. It was only when I was leaving the sewing room I noticed it wasn't done. It won't take long to finish it. 

I took a picture of the the quilting bar. I love that simple piece of equipment. It has made cross hatching so much easier to do. No up and down to draw lines. 

I fiddled around with ideas for the Regency dress stole. It wasn't easy as the Diamond decided it hated everything from the thread to the fabric. I even starched the fabric. I chose this design to do along the ends.

I started off with metallic thread and the thread kept breaking. Then I put in a new needle and it stitched further but the thread would break. I used glide thread and no breakage. But huge tension issues. I fiddled until I got the tension correct. Next is to try the pattern using fabric that isn't starched. 

The other thing I did was search for long gloves for the Regency outfit. I found these and it was another frustrating project. I printed off the pattern and the 1" square was 3/4". I printed again at 115% and still too small. Using the printer, I enlarged them at 104% twice. Perfect. I went looking for a white knit I had put in the donate box and I was dreaming. I have pink, yellow and peach but no white. Now I need to decide where to buy white socks for the gloves. 

Needless to say, I quit sewing for the afternoon feeling frustrated and tense.

Knitting

I didn't think I would have time to knit but I did do some. The body is divided and the first row of the body pattern is complete. I have the correct number of stitches at this point. No pictures as I was too tired to even think of taking a picture. 

Thoughts

    Halloween wasn't one of the Spousal Unit's favourite activities though he did enjoy the social part of it here. He'd visit with the neighbours while we handed out the treats. 

    I am finding I'm getting anxious about Christmas gifts as it is now Nov. 1. I feel like I'm behind and it causes me to scurry around hither and thither like a chicken with its head cut off. I need to calm down and make a better plan so I can move forward. I am behind but I know I can get it done if I have a clear plan on paper.

    I need to do some cooking for the freezer. I'm starting off with making 2 apple crumbles and then will make a couple main dishes. I want to roast a chicken so I can have 2 meals and then make soup to freeze. 

Today

I am out to the insurance company to get the necessary paper work done so I can pay for both the house and car insurance. Then I'm off to get some fabric for Christmas gifts and home to work on the placemats. I'd like to have them quilted by the end of the day. I will knit on the sweater tonight. 

Until the next time................................................

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding of that particular sewing machine foot. I am making 2 pillow shams for Christmas with diagonal quilting. You have made my project much simpler .

    ReplyDelete