Monday, October 31, 2022

Happy Halloween

Yesterday was another sunny day with a high of 16.1C. There was frost yesterday when the sun came up but it disappeared quickly. This morning it is 1C and we had frost. We are to have another sunny day with a high of 16C. 

Lifestyle

I didn't get all of my jobs done yesterday as I went to Bedford with daughter-in-law. We had a lovely visit on the way there and back. I did quite well walking in the store and practiced my stride. I think I may have to start walking outside a bit each day.

On the way in to shop, we learned our friend's youngest boy tested positive for Covid. Son with with our friend on Friday night so fingers are crossed we are vaccinated enough to dodge the Covid bullet. We do hope none of none of our friends get Covid for the 2nd time. This had to happen just before Halloween. 

When we got home, I did sweep the garage. I moved the items from the next spot I'm going to clean and swept the wall and window. I put it back until I go in and do the main cleaning. I did look in the tall cupboard and will be sorting things out in there, tossing what we don't need and organizing everything else. I have a plan for it and it should work for me. 

While we were shopping son and grandson came over and mowed the lawn. It was long. I really appreciate the help they have given this year with mowing and weed whacking the lawn. All three were angels. I am hoping to help more next year.

Last night I had dinner with family. I watched as they carved pumpkins and we laughed a lot. I will take pictures of the pumpkins tonight. We are keeping it simple with fewer decorations than normal. We want to be able to clean up quickly so I can put the car in the garage for the night. 

Sewing

I did sew for about 90 minutes yesterday. I now have 2 placemats quilted. Tacking down close to the cut edge of the top piece and using the quilting bar made the quilting go fast. 

The top thread is white and the back thread is cream and I'm happy at how they blend in with the fabric. 

I did a hunt for a piece of fabric and found this instead. Maybe this was the piece I was thinking of. I added the wood fabric to it and am thinking of making a bag for daughter out of it. A very simple one with no piping. 

I'm working out the size each piece needs to be as I need to buy more of the wood fabric. I'm also going to buy more of the backing fabric as I can use it up on other projects. 

I have been thinking of the stole for the Regency era outfit. Most were either fabric or woven with fine wool. Many had a paisley border on them and all seemed to be in brighter colours and were huge. I am going to make the stole out of the satin I made the dress from. The width still needs to be determined but the length will be about 36". I have decided to play with the stitches on the Diamond and do a wide border on each end in a gold/silver metallic embroidery thread. I am thinking the swirly design in the middle though the one on the left side is appealing to me also. 

Knitting

I spent what spare time I had frustrated with my knitting. I spent time counting stitches on the needle and was short 1. I spent time counting stitches in the pattern which was correct. I looked and looked and decided to start un-knitting the sweater row by row and counting. Each row was 1 stitch short. After I returned from dinner at family's, I looked at the sweater again and reread the pattern. I decided I may have made a mistake on the first increase row for making the snowballs. I unknit and counted each row and was still 1 stitch short. When I got back to un-knitting the snowball increase row, I had the right number of stitches. Mistake was in the increase row I had just un-knit. I sat and said the pattern outlaid as I knit the row. I counted once again and all was correct. I did the decrease row and all was good. I knit the next 2 rows and am back to where I was yesterday morning. What a lot of work due to my brain saying one thing and my hands doing another. I can now start the row where I put the sleeves on waste yarn. 

Thoughts

    With my brain still mulling over the budget and what I can do, I've made two big decisions. The car is paid off at the end of November and I will be using that money to pay down the principal of the house mortgage. The mortgage is due in July 2023 and I'm thinking of paying it off and being debt free. Interest rates will be in the 6% range and the Spousal Unit and I had discussed this last winter when he was able to talk finances. 

    I find that I still make decisions based on what the Spousal Unit and I had discussed prior to him becoming ill. I miss those discussion immensely as they seemed to keep us rooted in the present and moving forward into the future. It allowed us to overcome many obstacles in our lives. It is now allowing me to continue on with strength and determination as I think about what we talked about. 

Today

I am going to decorate the garage some for tonight. I want to be ready before daughter-in-law comes to help so she can sit on the couch and relax. Not that it will a long relax as the youngest will arrive around 5 pm. I am going to sew on the placemats but I doubt if I will knit tonight. 

Until the next time..............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment