Saturday, November 19, 2022

A Day of Sewing

 Yesterday was cool but calm. The high got to 2.2C. This morning it is clear and -4C. It is suppose to be sunny with a high of 4C today. 

Lifestyle

I didn't do housework yesterday as I just didn't want to. There is dusting and sweeping to do which I will get at this morning. I also didn't do any decluttering in the sewing room though I am keeping the parts I've done tidied up.  

I went and bought son and I lunch and we had a wonderful lunch together. We talked about TV's, apps to buy to watch more shows, and how I could have a smaller TV upstairs. Thinking on it as I'd like to get it during the Black Friday sales. 

I am finding that I need to have the heat on up and down stairs at this time. If I have the downstairs off, the upstairs is too cool, especially the living room. Plus there is a draft which I don't like. I keep the downstairs set lower than upstairs just to have it balanced and I was actually too warm last night. 

Sewing

I headed down to the sewing room yesterday morning to finish designing the reusable grocery bag. When I got the centre piece sewn I had to cut almost an inch off the top to make it 20". Better to cut off excess than to pick and resew a wider piece in. 

I finished the bag before I had to get lunch and after lunch I did the straps, closure, and button. 

The weaving stands out a bit more than I had expected but it certainly is the star of the show. The button turned out with a lovely design in the middle. The black lines you see will iron off. 

The top stitching is in a colour called linen. It was the closest colour that blended into the fabric colour but it still stands out some to be seen. 

I put a small scrap of fabric into the trash and .4 meter back on the shelf. The lining will take .5 meter of fabric. It is on the cutting table ready to be cut and made. 

I did find the hot water bottle pattern in the embroidery classes I took. It isn't lined but I will line mine. I hunted in the doll's flannel stash and found this to make it out of. 

The lining will be navy flannel. I will probably use a light weight batting behind the outer fabric and cross hatch it. I have everything for it in the stash and will make it when the Christmas sewing is done. 

Knitting

I started the new sweater pattern last night. The sweater sleeve was fun to knit the ribbing but I had to really talk my way through the increases for the puffy sleeves. I got it on the third try and am only 4-5 rows from having the first sleeve done. 

The yarn is expensive and I have 55 grams of it for the sweater. It is very soft to knit even though it has a tiny strand of shiny thread in it. I would have loved to knit the sweater in a plain colour, I don't have any in the stash and I'm not buying yarn for testing at this time. It will have the Edwardian vibe I want. 

The socks, once again, have been set aside but they can be finished quickly when this sweater is done. 

Thoughts

    Though my knee is sore from the arthritis, it is much better. The ham string muscle has stretched to about 90% and I can do the exercises so much easier now. I do walk much better but I have a limp which I hate. I think that is because everything still needs to get stronger around the knee. 

    When I saw son yesterday, he is doing more for himself. He said the physiotherapist he sees at the hospital was amazed at his progress in 6 days as the surgery was complex. He is still careful with his shoulder but he is up and around a lot more than he was. I am quite proud of him for where has gotten to. I am on text call which is nice for all of us. I still enjoy going over to help him when he needs it. 

    I am starting to think about changes in the living room. The chair the Spousal Unit sat in will go to the dump as Elliott has destroyed it. I will get something less cumbersome. I also want to change out the table lamps as they are cumbersome also. I want something that is more simple in design and that I can have a usb port or two in the base. I will need to start snoop shopping for them. 

Today

I am going to do some housework and then get my prescription. I don't need anything else from the grocery store so it will be a quick trip. I want to finish the bag this afternoon and will knit tonight. 

Until the next time.......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment