Tuesday, November 15, 2022

I Have Too Much Yarn

Yesterday's weather was one of sunshine, clouds, and showers. The wind blew making it feel cold outside. The high got to 10.7C. It was 1C this morning and we are to have a mix of sun and clouds and a high of 5C.

Lifestyle

We've had so much wind that the wind meter on our neighbour's deck is missing the part that goes around. I am hoping they took it in as the last few days have been very windy. If not, and it's broken, I shall miss it. 

I did a load of laundry, folded another load of laundry, and cleaned up around the litter box. Every time I looked outside, it was windy and raining. It is mid November and we are in our rainy season. But it sure didn't inspire me to do more in the house.

Yesterday was support group meeting and it was a good one. The discussion was lively and we did talk about future planning especially having a Power of Atterney. It was a great discussion in which lots of information was shared. I have to say that I am glad that we had done so much planning starting in April. It helped with the process during the later stages and after the Spousal Unit's passing. 

I rested as much as possible in the afternoon and it didn't help much. Moving about helped more as it kept everything limber. I know much of the pain is the weather but part of it was being at the sewing machine for long periods of time.

Sewing

I got two buttons sewn on and now I need to find two more the same size at the quilting store. The ones I bought were too big and looked awkward on the towel toppers. 

I started figuring out the size of the pieces I need for the next bag. It is another custom cut bag which takes a bit of time to design. Part 1 is mostly done and I need to confirm that those measurements are correct and then start on part 2. Everything needs to add up to 20" x 40" before I can cut out the pieces. 

Knitting

Today's project in the sewing room was to clean up the yarn stash. I brought the 7 tubs of yarn into the family room and sorted them out one tub at a time starting with the sock weight yarn and moving up to the worsted weight. I have a lot of yarn to knit up so I'm going to snoop around and find out where I can donate hats that I can knit up for those in need.

There is enough yarn to knit 3 pairs of socks in light yarn and 1 pair of socks in heavy yarn. Then there is 3 bins of mid weight yarn for hats and doll items and 1.5 bins of worsted weight for other items. What is strange, is that I may need to buy a ball of yarn to finish up grandson's socks. 

When I finished sorting the yarn, I cleaned the cube, the wall behind it and the floor. The cube was dusty and the floor was dirty. It is nice to have it looking clean and tidy again. 

I did knit on grandson's socks last night and the first sock is done to the toe. I had just enough of the yarn to do the foot. It was close as I have about 9" of yarn left. 

Thoughts

    As yesterday was a rest day, I won't be doing a separate post on the yarn stash today. It was such a simple thing to do as there were no hidden items in the containers. Just a lot of yarn. The only thing I haven't dealt with is the knitting needles. The tub I had hoped to put them in is full. I'm still thinking on that one. I think it may be knit down a lot of the yarn and do a reorganization so they can go in one tub. 

    I have a few knick knacks in the sewing room and each hold a special meaning to me. The ones on the cube are mainly about my maternal grandmother as she was avid seamstress. The wooden cones held linen as my maternal family were also weavers. 

    I am enjoying the house being clean and need to do the next upstairs cleaning on the next nasty days. We have rain on Wednesday and snow flurries on the weekend. I have been keeping most areas tidy but need to sweep/wash floors, dust, and make sure the areas that get cluttered are tidy. I'm finding I'm more calm and relaxed now that I'm getting the house under control.         

Today

I am heading out to New Minas this morning after I put gas in the car. I need to get a ball of yarn for grandson's socks, and buttons at another store. I should look for winter boots also. In the afternoon, I am going to press the fabric for the reusable bag, put the straw on the garlic and cover the rose bush with burlap. I want to knit in the evening as I need to complete my projects, especially the doll's sweater. Knowing how much yarn I have in the stash, I will have to knit most evenings. 

Until the next time......................................................... 

No comments:

Post a Comment