Saturday, November 05, 2022

Hand Sewing In A Clean Family Room

 Yesterday was another lovely day with sunshine and a high of 19.8C. We broke the high temperature yesterday. It was 14C this morning and we are to have more sunshine and 22C today. If it gets that warm today, we will break another high temperature. 

Lifestyle

I hustled myself downstairs in good time to finish cleaning the family room. I picked up items that needed to be put away, set up the wrapping station on the table for a parcel that needs to be shipped, and cleaned. All I can say is UGH!! The table I do hand work on was dirty from me using it. The two other pieces of furniture were okay but the floor was dirty. After all the cleaning was done, I washed the floor and set up the furniture. 

The area where I watch TV and do hand sewing looks bare and sterile. It needs some colour. Daughter thinks a rug and she could be right. But it is one more thing to clean. 

The area at the bottom of the stairs needs a bit of colour plus a picture hung up. That I need help with. There is a lot of empty floor space in that area which I'm okay with. It is a high traffic area. 

It is minimal looking and I'm hoping it will be easy to keep clean. 

I am happy to have that room purged and cleaned and it's on to the storage room after I clean the upstairs. 

I was told our friend across the road tested positive for covid yesterday morning. She visited with us on Halloween evening. I did another rapid test and was negative. I'm hanging out with myself for the next while and hope I don't have to shop until Wednesday morning. 

Daughter showed me pictures of their snow and they had a good 6" fall. She had to wait in line in the yesterday morning when going to feed her horses as they were using a grader to clear the snow off the road. It took the highways crew 4 hours to arrive to plow the road the night before and they didn't put any sand or salt on the road and it turned to ice. They were in a mess she said. When she went up in the late afternoon to feed the horses, she said half way there the road was wet and the remaining part was dry. 

Sewing

I spent the afternoon in the family room hand sewing binding down on the place mats. Two are done and 2 left to go. 

I love how the fabric gives the look vs a quilting pattern. These will be statement pieces on any table that has a western look. 

Next up will be the two 12" hot pads. They shouldn't take too long to make. I'll put the scraps away to make potholders a bit later on. I can mail them in a box later on. 

The new quilt shop is waiting for it occupancy permit so they can load everything into the store and open it. I will be making a trip to visit the store once it is open. 

I have been thinking more about 2023. I yearn to make lists of things I want to make but am trying not to. I need to look at all the fabric I have and make decisions based on it. That will happen when I clean up the room starting mid December. In the meantime, I am sewing what I need to sew for gifts and making sure that the garbage is in the garbage cans and no squatters are in the room. 

Knitting

The body of the sweater is competed and I'm ready to pick up the sleeve stitches and finish it. No pictures last night as I was thinking of which yarn to use for the next sweater.

The next sweater will be the last for this year as I want to finish up grandson's socks and then read a book. 

Thoughts

     When I sat in the family room sewing yesterday afternoon, I didn't find it too empty. It is just lacking some colour from pillows and a throw or two. It does need something bright and I'm thinking about that. 

    I did look in the storage room and shuddered. I have a bag and a box ready to go to the thrift shop. I need to go through everything else and make some decisions. Most of the stuff in that room belongs to me and I hope I can deal with it efficiently. This area became a dumping room which was not good. It will take me some time to get that done but I'm bound and determined to get it cleaned and organized. 

    I have to clean under the stairs and that is an area that has been emotionally hard to start. I've tried twice. It is the Christmas tubs that I am having problems with and I was the one who loved Christmas. I think that once I start, I'll be okay as I will keep the items we cherished and bring back good memories and let those go that we were not really attached to. The goal is to have one tub of decorations and one for the poinsettia tree we both loved. I hope to do that area in late November or early December.  

Today

The goal is to vacuum the upstairs, dust, and wash the floors. I will start cleaning the kitchen when I make dinner tonight. I want to finish sewing the binding down on the placemats this afternoon and knit tonight. I may sneak out this afternoon and bring down the bags of salt from the shed and put them into the garage. Then I will be ready for the snow which I hope doesn't come until late January.

Until the next time.....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment