Wednesday, November 23, 2022

First Pair of Doll Gloves

 Yesterday was sunny and cool with a high of 3.2C. Last night the stars were shining and this morning it is cloudy and 0C. We are to have a high 2C with a mixed bag -- sunshine, clouds, rain, and flurries. 

Lifestyle

I spent the morning in the kitchen. I decided to make a pot of chicken stock. I picked the meat off the carcass and had enough meat for dinner plus a chicken pie for the freezer. I added 3 legs and a thigh from the freezer along with the carcass to a pot of chicken broth and water. After boiling for 3 hours I was ready to separate the bones from the meat and strain the broth. I got almost 3 cups of meat for the soup. All was put into the fridge so I can complete it today. 

As I was cooking, I kept the kitchen clean and did a bit of extra clean up. When I was done, I was thrilled to have a clean kitchen. It was lunch time by the time I was done.

Laundry was also done and the bed was made with clean sheets in the afternoon. Elliott decided he wanted to sleep on the bed under a blanket until then.  

My knee is improving slowly. It still hurts if I over use it. I did that yesterday and had to let it rest for quite a while. I'm trying to do more each day to help it get stronger. 

Sewing

I got to sew for a bit in the afternoon. I made gloves to go with the Regency Era outfit. 

I spent a long time thinking about making these gloves and finally decided the first pair would be done using a 60/8 microtex needle and a straight stitch. I had no issues but am afraid of the seams separating at the base of the thumb. I have fray checked them good. I will be using a stretch stitch on the next pair. 

It took a long time to sew the gloves once I got to the curved part. A stitch or two, lift the foot, adjust, and a couple more stitches and repeat. Once trimmed, I turned them right side out and used my bamboo turner to smooth the hand part and to push the thumb part out. I am pleased with my first try at making doll gloves. 

Once done the gloves, I cleaned the Juki sewing machine using a bit of oil on the new swabs I bought. It was dirty but not too bad. Once it was done to my satisfaction, I turned my attention to the serger. It was full of lint and I spent a lot of time cleaning it out. I'm thrilled with the results and then adjusted the tension a bit. All that is left is the other sewing machine. 

Knitting

I did knit last night until I found a mistake in the pattern. I'm waiting for the designer to figure it out. I tried to knit it about 6 times and realized you need 20 stitches on the needle and I have 19. She needs to sort it out before I can proceed. 

Thoughts

    I'm avoiding wrapping presents like I do every year. I need to dedicate an afternoon to it. Maybe today after I sew. 

    I was tired yesterday but not weepy or depressed. I kept busy which was good. I know this will happen again and will deal with it as it comes. Part of the grieving process. 

    I am slowly getting more ideas for meals. I have to make a Shepards Pie and I'm going to tackle sausage rolls. I need to get some bigger containers for soup. I have 2 but need 2-4 more. 

    I'm going to order a tv for upstairs so I can watch shows on it instead of the iPad. I can stream from the iPad if I want to. I have ideas of how I will set it up. Hopefully my idea will work. 

Today

I am going to shop this morning, finish the chicken noodle soup, and make sure the kitchen is clean. I will try to clear off the table in the family room so I can wrap presents after I sew the next pair of doll gloves. I'm hoping to continue knitting on the sweater tonight. If not, I will knit on grandson's socks. 

Until the next time...........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment