Friday, November 11, 2022

A Bag Was Made

Yesterday was a lovely day with a mix of sunshine and clouds. The high got to 14.9C. This morning it is 12C and it is clear. I could see the moon shining in the sky at 6 a.m.. It is suppose to a sunny day with a high of 18C.

Lifestyle

I was over early to check on grandson and take him to school as son had to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. for surgery. His surgery went well and he will be home today to recover. Everyone is exhausted including me. They from lack of sleep and stress and me from stress. 

I was out to get my hair cut mid morning and the Spousal Unit's hair dresser certainly is missing him. She said she has wandered her garden and had some wonderful memories of the talks they had. The Spousal Unit certainly had a positive impact on many people here in our area and is truly missed by them. 

We talked about the garlic and everyone is worrying about how their garlic has sprouted and growing. I decided to buy a roll of burlap to cover the straw when I put it on the garlic next week. It should help keep the straw from blowing away and add one more layer of protection. They say the garlic will adapt to the cold weather but I want us to have garlic next year hence the extra protection. 

I was sore all over yesterday. Part was relaxing after the stress I had but my knee and hip were sore. I did the exercises to stretch the groin muscles and it helped some. It is the storms we are to get starting tomorrow that is causing the usual spots to hurt like crazy. 

Sewing

I started a bag for daughter before I headed out for a hair cut. I called it Behind the Barn. 

Each piece was cut carefully and then interfaced. Once sewn together, I was delighted with the finished bag. 

The button was the last of several big ones I bought before the pandemic. It was a perfect button for this project. 

There are a couple of things I would do differently on the next bag. I would make the top band the same width as what shows on the bottom part which is 3". I used a shirting interfacing as I like how it adheres to the fabric much better than the the craft interfacing. But the bags don't stand up as nicely. I am going back to the craft interfacing and will stitch it close to the edge to hold it in place after I attempt to adhere it to the fabric. 

Knitting

I didn't knit last night as I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. 

Thoughts

    My thoughts have been whirling around in the my head the past few days as I have been trying to get gifts sewn. They just haven't been about sewing but other things. Firming up my estate planning has been one that I'm slowly getting done. 

    I am amazed at how people at the quilt store show a lack of response to items made unless they are complicated. It isn't how you build your business. I find that admiring simple projects is just as important as admiring more complicated ones. The previous owner admired anything you made from the fabric in her store which kept people coming back. We did that at the fabric store I worked in and people kept returning to buy more fabric and showing us what they made. 

    My mind is starting to think more about what I want to sew next year. I will be digging into the stash to sew it up and will be making more items for gifts during the year. Making something as simple as a gift bag uses up some of the orphans in the stash and wraps a present for someone. Sewing doll clothes for the little girl will happen as she still loves her dolls and the items I gave her.

   I am trying to figure out a change in my schedule as I'm feeling blah. It want to start making buns again once a week and just need to push through and do it. I need to figure out how to make the evenings less lonely. Elliott isn't good company as all he wants to do it eat and sleep in the evenings. I have registered for the Alzheimer's support group for Monday and that will be my last one. I need to think about taking a class of some sort or picking up drafting doll patterns or practice couture sewing. I'm thinking of having my neighbour over once a month for dinner. I need to do more than sit and be lonely at nights. 

Today

My main job is to tidy up the kitchen and sweep the floors. If I have time, I will sew the last potholder. I have to be at family's after lunch. I will knit over there which means this evening I had better find something else to do. I am ready for the storm which is suppose to arrive tomorrow morning. 

Until the next time..................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment