Saturday, November 12, 2022

I'm Decluttering The Sewing Room Again

 I was amazed at how much clutter was in our home when the Spousal Unit passed away in September. Things were hidden that I didn't have time to deal with. Other things were put into boxes and stored in all sorts of places. It was time to deal with it all. 

As I cleaned the house of all the items that were stored or hidden, I knew I had to deal with the sewing room. It was the room that I sewed in but didn't clean up after myself. You make choices that aren't always the best ones when you have short periods of time to sew. And taking care of the Spousal Unit was my number one priority. Cleaning was not in the radar as the rest of the house was done by cleaners. The sewing room suffered but I just didn't worry about it. 

I was thankful that I had spent the time in January to follow Just Get It Done's decluttering challenge. Being organized allowed me to get a lot of sewing done -- the list until the Spousal Unit required more attention was long and the fabric from the stash decreased. I was really good about cleaning up after myself until I was unable to. And then I just lived with it and sewed for Christmas. 

Things got piled up on all the flat surfaces in the room. I had no energy to do more than sew when I could during respite. I would pile items up to get enough space to cut out a project and then sew it. My room was no longer my peaceful haven but a disaster zone. 

Once I was truly alone, I did some therapy shopping buying fabric to make and finish projects and a few pieces that I call grieving purchases. Up until then, I had only bought what I needed to finish a project. 

I kept track of what I bought and what I sewed as I could do that when I had a few minutes during meal time. As of today, I have bought more than 50% of what I have sewn this year. The worst ever in the past 3 years. On a good note, I have sewn most of the fabric bought. What goes into the stash will be sewn in 2023. 

Though I still have more Christmas gift sewing to do, I am going to start cleaning the sewing room today. I have a plan which I will work on when I can. And I will be joining the 2023 decluttering challenge in January to make sure I get everything done and that the room is not only organized but clean. I want to this room to be as calm and peaceful as the rest of the house is becoming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment