Monday, August 02, 2021

Practicing My Sewing Decisions

 Yesterday was another lovely day with lots of sunshine. The high got to 24C. This morning it was 11C and foggy. It is getting ready to rain for the day. The high is to get to 18C.

Lifestyle

I was hoping to put a bug killer on the lawn yesterday morning but it needs 2 days without rain. With rain in the forecast for today, I didn't do it. 

The Spousal Unit and I picked all the peas and pulled the plants. While I was shelling the peas to see how much hail damage there was (about 1%) the Spousal Unit prepared the bed for a 2nd planting of peas and beans. The job was done while I delivered peas to the family. 

Our moods are much better with sunshine, replanting the beans and peas, and the tomatoes looking healthier. We are tired as everything has taken its toll on us. I'm also dealing with a sore knee and hips. This flare up is not settling down as I had hoped.

Sewing

I headed down to the sewing room to sew a bit more. I got the end pieces on one of the rectangular hot pads and then started sewing potholders together. I got 2 completed before I quit.

I am quite pleased with them. Not perfect but done well enough I'm not ashamed of them. I used an old potholder daughter gave me for Christmas over 15 years ago as a pattern.

The poor potholder is worn and faded but we still use it. Hopefully I can retire them soon as they do burn my hands when handling hot items from the stove. It only has quilt batting in it where I put in Insul Brite batting in these ones. I have enough fabric to finish 2 or 3 more pot holders and then I will figure out how much fabric I need to complete the remaining pieces.

I hauled a 5 meter piece of fabric out of the thrift shop tub and will be using it for a quilt for daughter's cat. 

I am looking forward to making this quilt and doing some stitch in the ditch quilting on it for practice. As someone said, it has a modern edge to it. And I am happy is that all the fabric and batting will come from the stash.  

Using what I have, sewing down the stash, and enjoying my time in the sewing room. It makes me feel happy. Practicing my three decisons.

Knitting

I was sent a pattern to test and I cast on the skirt and have 14 rows done. I now need to cast on to do a 2nd part of the skirt before the 2 parts are jointed together. I'm using a tweed yarn that I had in the stash for a year now. 

The scarf is going to sit and wait as I'm not sure I like it either. It is even up the sides and my tension is good. I really think it is the yarn. It is acting like a sports weight rather than a knitting worsted weight (3 vs 4).  

I am still knitting for the dolls but am trying to us up the yarn in the stash. I saw one skein of of light teal yarn when digging in the yarn tubs and am going to knit doll blankets from it. I have a cute pattern that I want to knit and will make them once I decide on the scarf. The blankets can be projects that I can pick up when I have nothing else to knit.

Today

It is Natal Day in Nova Scotia. We are staying home due to the rain. This morning I will clean in the kitchen and sew this afternoon. I want to finish the pot holders I have backing for and maybe start on the doll's blouse. Tonight I will knit. Another stay at home day for us. 

Until the next time.........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment