Thursday, August 19, 2021

No Strings Attached

Yesterday was warm at 25.3C with a humidex of 32C. We had a bit of rain last evening and we woke to it raining this morning. The temperature this morning was 18C and it is to get to 25C. 

Lifestyle

I had an in/out day yesterday. It made for an interesting time which I enjoyed. We ended up having coffee at the neighbor's which was delightful. 

I did dry mop the walls in the hall and then washed all the trim and baseboards. The doors got cleaned also. I started cleaning the washer and got it done just before lunch. The dryer waits for me and then I can clean the hall floor. It is nice to have more fall cleaning done. 

Grandson got the ditch weed whacked to where the Spousal Unit can do the finishing touches that he likes to do. He did well over half of it in the afternoon and was a happy man to be busy. 

There were 9 new cases of the virus reported yesterday. Eight are related to travel or close contact and one is under investigation. We have around 25 active cases in the province at this time. Not a lot but enough to keep us wearing a mask at outdoor events. 

Sewing

I spent quite a bit of time in the afternoon quilting the 2nd hot pad. I didn't get it finished but I did enjoy myself. It is satisfying knowing I am making gifts from the stash. 

I had a good thinking session yesterday as I have been having a lot of fun in the sewing room the past few days. I have no commitments to test patterns, no deadlines to meet and I feel free to think about things in the sewing room. 

The thinking started after reading a very short article Why I Got Rid of My Fabric Stash. I realize quite a while ago I am not a stash person as my stash leaves me feeling stressed in a lot of ways. I've learned to deal with it during the pandemic. There have been moments of real stress erupt in the past 17 month and I almost trashed the stash twice or three times. 

I continue to sew down the stash. It has become easier to grab fabric off the shelving unit once I gave myself full permission to use the it any way I want to. No strings attached. It all came about when I decided to make a quilt for a cat. I had one piece of the fabric. I was busy dreaming about the other piece I was going to buy. It was while dreaming that it dawned on me to use fabric from the stash. When I finished putting it all together, I needed to buy nothing for a classy quilt for the cat. I realized I was being paralyzed by my thinking inside the box rather than outside of it. I've grown mentally which will allow me to sew more from the stash and buy only what I need to finish a project. I'm ready to sew more with the mental barriers removed.

In all reality, I will buy some fabric that is needed for gifts or to finish a project. It won't be a lot as I am focusing on what I have and not what I want.

Knitting

The socks are coming along nicely. The pattern is easy to memorize and before I know it, I've knit several repeats. I've got 10 repeats done now. 

The texture of the pattern is starting to show. I have 8 more repeats to do before I watch the next video of the series on knitting these socks. I am really enjoying this knit.

Today

I am going to finish up the cleaning from yesterday as I'm happy with the results I got yesterday. I will quilt in the afternoon. We may be going to watch grandson play soccer tonight. If not, I will knit. 

Until the next time.....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment