Friday, August 13, 2021

Heat, Humidity, and Exhaustion

 I am late today as I've been busy.

Yesterday the high was 30C with a humidex of 40C. This morning it was 19C and at noon it was 27C with a humidex of 36C. It is hot outside and we could see 31C and a humidex of 41C. We have one more day of very hot weather. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday we were home for the day and I cleaned the kitchen. It wasn't hard to do but it needed to be done. I cleaned out some shelves while I was at it. I was tired as I've been sleeping poorly due to the heat and an overly warm bedroom.

The Spousal Unit weed whacked around the yard yesterday. We will be borrowing son's lawn mower tonight to do the yard tomorrow. Hopefully our lawn mower will be repaired before we need to mow again. 

We had a salad using tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden. It was delicious. 

Daughter texted last night at 8 p.m. 4 p.m. her time) that a community near the mine where she works was evacuated. The mine was shut down and employees sent home and the suppression crews the mine hired were there prepared to fight fire. Friends also lost 140 head of cattle as they were not allowed to go in and get them before a back burn was started. The crew lit the fire and let it go. That is criminal in our minds and we hope these friends take legal action. It is grim out there with fires burning out of control for weeks now.  The one that is close to to the mine and where friends live has been burning out of control since July 12 and is absolutely huge.

There were 7 cases of the virus reported yesterday. Three were from earlier in the year and are resolved. The other 4 were were either related to travel or close contact with another case. We have 24 active cases in the province now. 

Sewing

I took my tired self down to the sewing room and decided to finish the jacket. I really focused on what I was doing and did a lot of talking my way through the process. 

The collar was a bit of a bugger as it stretched and I had to trim it back to size. When I sewed the inner and outer collars together, I used the walking foot to control the stretching. I carefully pinned and did extra basting on the collar which was worth the effort. I hand sewed the collar for a clean seam finish.

At the front and at the ribbon, I added a snap to keep the jacket closed. I like the look of how I closed the jacket and wanted to keep it in that position when snapped shut. 

The back looks great and it fits a tiny bit big. Not baggy though. 

And with the tote.
 


Though I enjoyed sewing this tote, I'm glad it is completed. I have my plans in place for making it again next month is there is some quiet time. Now it's time to work on the Christmas gifts. I have fabric to launder. 

Knitting

I am doing okay on the test pattern and have completed the first increase row. No mistakes, no swearing loudly, and no new version coming in the mail. Let's hope we can knit in quietness now.

Today

It has been a busy morning and I hope to work in the sewing room this afternoon and knit tonight. Once this heat wave is over with, I want to clean house and do more outdoor things so we can get caught up. Right now, we fight the heat, humidity and exhaustion. 

Until the next time...............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment