Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Like A Warm Flannel Shirt

Yesterday was another lovely fall day. The sun shone and the high got to almost 13C. The temperature this morning is 5C. Cloudy with periods of rain tonight.  

Lifestyle

The first job yesterday was to fold laundry and put another load on. The bathroom was then cleaned and I still had 2 hours to clean more of the kitchen. I scrubbed and cleaned the counters, stove, microwave, and dishwasher. Even inside drawers and cupboards were wiped out if dirty. The stove was pulled out and that area was cleaned. A big job and all that is left is to clean the sink area and scrub the floor. I'm enjoying fall cleaning and realized that putting it off or having it interrupted is annoying. 

Sewing

I had 45 minutes before lunch to working on piping for daughter's lunch bag. It was a delightful 45 minutes making about 2.5 meter; maybe even 3 meters. 
After lunch, I set about making the bag. I followed the pattern for the triangle bag. The pocket was made using the piping I had made and then pinned to the front piece after it was interfaced. 
 At this point it reminded me of a warm flannel shirt. The back piece is the navy and it was also interfaced. The side and bottom seams were sewn and it is now ready to have the bottom part boxed. 
When I cut out the bag pieces, more fabric was wasted than I had hoped for. It was really wonky. As a result I don't have enough fabric for the 30" handles in one color. I will be making them in two pieces so the outer part of the handle is the navy and the inner part is the plaid. One edge of the handles will have piping, which is my signature trademark. I will put piping on the closure. 
The lining is cut out and ready to be made so I'm hoping two more afternoons and this bag will be done. 
I played for 15 minutes on the serger. I removed on needle and will replace it with a new one when I put it back in. Taking it out gave me a nice 3 thread narrow serged edge on a practice piece of fabric. I then set up the machine to do a rolled hem and I'm ready to do a scarf for daughter. I need to change the thread colors and sit for an hour to get it done. The rolled edge takes quite a bit of time and the scarf is 40" square. 
I've been working hard at keeping only one project on the cutting table and ignoring what comes next. It is nice to have the whole table available for the project. At the sewing machine, I'm putting away items I don't need after using them. The focus right now is to keep those two areas clean and tidy. It is helping keep the stress down. 

The Dolls

The Spousal Unit spent some time in the sewing room and we talked about the dolls. He had thought I had more than 6. I told him I wasn't planning on having any more. If I want a new one, I will have to let one of them go. At the moment, none of the Gotz dolls will be leaving as I love them dearly. The blond American Girl doll may be replaced but I'm not sure. I quite like her. The red head remains. 
We talked about what I don't have -- furniture and other props. Other than a few very Canadian items (one special chair, a moose, blanket and toboggan) I'm really not interested in them. I like shoes and will buy a few more pairs. I think he was surprised at my thoughts on the dolls and how disciplined I'm being with them. 

Knitting

The navy messy bun hat is finished. I tried a sewn method of cast off and quite like it. 
It is in the box with the matching scarf for daughter's birthday gift. I also cast on a small sized messy bun hat that daughter is gifting to someone for Christmas. It is knitting up quite quickly and will probably go out in the next box. 
I forgot to show a picture of the mitts I made for the doll. The yarn used is a sport weight and is equivalent to a worsted or heavier weight for human sized mittens. 
If I have time, I will knit the hat in plain white to go with the sweater, scarf and mitts. 

Today

The sink area of the kitchen will be scrubbed clean and then the Spousal Unit and I will go to the library. He needs books to read. The afternoon will be spent sewing the bag and the evening knitting on the hat. 
Until the next time.................................

No comments:

Post a Comment