Friday, October 04, 2019

Tear Away Stabilizer To The Rescue

Yesterday was cool but sunny. The high got to 10-11C. The temperature this morning was 5C and, once again, there was no frost. There is to be showers today. 

Lifestyle

I got up and at it early yesterday. Two loads of laundry were done, laundry folded, and the dining area was cleaned up and the floor washed. No paper work was done as I was in cleaning mode. 

Sewing

I finished daughter's lunch bag before lunch. I love it. 
It screams flannel shirt even though it is 100% cotton. A very casual looking bag.
I cut the satin into a 41" square to hem a cowboy rag for daughter. I had brought it home when we were over at Christmas and promptly forgot about it. I found it in with the doll's stuff. The thread I bought for the project. I set up the serger to do a rolled hem. A bit of fiddling and this is how I placed the thread so the variegated thread would show on the top. 
After getting that correct, I did a trial run. Satin is slippery and I had some issues with it going through the serger any way but straight. It is light weight and very slippery. Think. Think. Think. Tear Away Stabilizer To The Rescue!
I cut 3 pieces 3" wide and carefully lined up the satin to the left edge of the stabilizer. Using the presser foot as a guide, I trimmed off 1/4" from the edge while doing the rolled hem. Here is what it looked like when done. 
I carefully ripped the stabilizer off and used it again on the next side. I went around the scarf with no problems what so ever. After a good pressing the edge looked like this. No ripples at all.
The variegated thread is perfect for the plain satin. I think I still have over half a spool of the variegated thread left (it's the most expensive thread at $6.00) and a full white and an almost full pink ($1.00 each). Really gave the plain satin a finished look. 
I left the sewing room a very happy person as I figured out how to do a rolled edge neatly and nearly stress free.

Knitting

I finished the messy bun hat and am pleased with it. 
I've cast on a sweater to test for a designer. I got the ribbing done and have started on the pattern. I'm on row 18. 

Today

I want to start cleaning the living room area, do some shopping and cut out the next bag. This one is for a friend who ordered the triangle pocket bag in dog fabric. I also want to knit on the sweater this evening. 
Until the next time.............................

No comments:

Post a Comment