Monday, October 07, 2019

Practicing Techniques on the Serger and Sewing Machine

Though yesterday started out cool, the sun shone and the temperature got to 17-19C. It started to cloud over by the evening. The temperature dropped to 11C and then jumped up to 14C by morning. Today will probably be cloudy with a forecasted high of 21C. 

Lifestyle

The Spousal Unit cleaned up the front flower bed yesterday. All the plants have been cut back and the weeding has been done. We can move around if we can ever get to redoing the front step. 

Sewing

I spent quite a bit of time in the sewing room. I wanted to make a simple doll's skirt using a 3 thread narrow serged seam finish. This is the first time I've really used it properly and I quite like it. It is narrower and more suited to doll clothes that the 4 thread finish. I can see using it on light weight fabrics. 
All the seams are straight so I could practice and assess. The only worrisome seam was the gathered one with the eyelet lace. It was perfect. 
The fabric used was left over lining fabric from daughter's lunch bag so all scraps of that fabric have been trashed. 
I was looking through the thread in the cabinet trying to figure out if I'm winning at using it up. I am but when I sorted a bit I found I have 3 spools of lime green thread. 
All have never been used. I've sewn up the lime green broadcloth I had left over and have one reusable bag I can sew up using some of this thread. The rest will have to be used when I'm making test muslins. 
In the afternoon, I chose to sew 2 of the lobster napkins (8 left to go). It was a practice mitre corners which I enjoy doing. 
Daughter is sending me some fabric to make her 2 cushions and a table runner. The table runner will have this type of mitered corner hem on it. 
Note - neither one of these projects count for yardage sewn as they have been tracked already. 
I have been focusing on keeping the sewing cabinet and cutting table clean and it is really working. I'm now going to sort and clean up the thread in the thread drawer of the sewing cabinet. 

Knitting

I had a good run at knitting while dinner was cooking and then in the evening. I only had to take back one row which allowed me to get ahead. 
The one front is completed and I'm about 10 rows up on the back. Other than my mistakes, the pattern is well written. I'm down a needle size now for this designer and this yarn. I get the correct tension when down a needle size and I hope it fits the doll better. The last few knits have been a bit baggy in my opinion. 

Today

The plan is in the air. Stay home or go shopping. I need to do a Costco run as we are almost out of meat. Decision time after breakfast. 
Until the next time............................

No comments:

Post a Comment