Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Triangle Pocket Bag

I enjoy making reusable grocery bags and found another version at Sew Mama Sew. As usual, I did my take on her lovely idea.

Fabric

I used a Canadian maple leaf print and a solid coloured quilting cotton along with some piping that is polyester.
I bought plenty of the print and was a bit short on the solid so I changed my size slightly.
Straps - 4" x width of fabric. Cut in half.
Bag Body - Cut two pieces of fabric 21" x width of the fabric.
Pocket - Cut one piece of fabric 21" x width of the fabric.
** At this point, I cut the fabrics so they are all the same width and then cut them all in half to have 6 pieces:
  • 2 for the pocket
  • 2 for the outer bag
  • 2 for the lining
  • 2 handles
Interfacing - I used a light weight interfacing to line both the pocket pieces but will only do the outer pocket the next time. It is also used to line the handles. The outer bag pieces were interfaced with a craft weight interfacing. The lining wasn't interfaced at all.

Procedure

Straps

Interface the straps as shown in Sew Mama Sew's tutorial or in my post.
Fold the straps in half lengthwise and press. Bring the raw edges to the center and press again. Fold the strap in half and press well. Stitch both sides close to the edge using matching thread.

Pocket

Interface the outer pocket.
Fold the pocket pieces in half as shown in the Sew Mama Sew tutorial. I marked 2" across the top and 8" down the side. I drew a line to see if I liked how it looked and then used the rotary cutter and ruler to cut on the line.
On the outer pocket, I pinned the piping on and basted it down. I laid the inner pocket on top and sewed the two seams together. Turn right side out, press and top stitch close to the edge.
At this point the pocket is done.

Bag

Interface the outer bag. It will be stiff. On the front bag piece, pin the pocket along the top, sides and bottom. Lay the back bag piece on top. Sew the sides together using a shorter stitch and a 1/2" seam allowance.
Lay the bag on the table and measure 2.5" from the stitching line at the top and bottom of each corner.
Cut out this square. I re-stitched the seams where I cut so they wouldn't come unstitched.
This is the lining piece but the outer fabric with the pocket is done the same way.
Press all the seams open and then match the side and bottom seams together. You will have the seam allowance in the middle with the corner of the square on the outside edge that is folded fabric. Stitch closed with a 1/4" seam allowance. Your bag can stand up now and has a bottom to it.
Do the lining piece the same way. The lining is not interfaced. The seam allowances can be a hair over 1/2" in width though the square at the bottom should only have 1/4" seam allowance.
Following this tutorial add the handles. You have to go half way down the page to get the instruction. From there you follow the instructions to the end to complete the bag.


Enjoy using your new bag. This one has a towel in it and is for our grandson.
Again, a thank you to Sew Mama Sew for the great idea and tutorial.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to make one of these to carry my swimming kit. I plan to use a waterproof material for the lining, a rip-stop nylon, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete