Thursday, December 21, 2023

Snowflake Candy Holders Completed

 Yesterday was cloudy with some wind that got stronger in the evening. It also rained most of the day. The high of 6C at 6 am dropped steadily all day until it was 2C at 5 pm. This morning the wind is blowing from the north with gusts up to 52 km/h. We have had snow during the night and it is -1C with a wind chill of -7C. It is to be windy and the temperature is to fall to -2C with a windchill of -13C. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning started out with making buns. They turned out not too bad though I think the dough may have been short a tablespoon of water. They rose quickly and were light. I had them done by noon.

While the dough kneaded, I swept floors and tidied up. While the dough rose, I did my yoga exercises. I got a good workout done which was nice. And while the buns cooked, I cleaned up the kitchen. I did have a busy morning which was good. 

I decided to put the outdoor lights into a box and use the tub for Christmas gifts. I did that job yesterday and the box will go under the stairs when I finish cleaning it and the tub is in the maintenance room. 

My last chore of the day was to haul the garbage out for pick up this morning. The wind was cold but I got the job done while it wasn't raining. 

Sewing/Crafts

I spent a few minutes in the sewing room putting away the Christmas fabric. I will be busy making gift bags next year as I have lots of fabrics for the outer bags but very little for lining. That I will need to purchase. I also need to go through my embroidery files and select the ones I want to embroider on the bags. 

I also have kept a lot of the Christmas fabric pieces that are too small for gift bags and will see if they are big enough for mug rugs that I can embroider in the hoop. I can make them and put them into the Christmas gift tub and decide later on what to do with them. 

Daughter-in-law bought me the right card stock and delivered it. I was so happy that she found off white in 80 lb weight. She is a treasure. I spent part of the afternoon cutting out the snowflakes. While the second sheet cut, I weeded the first sheet. Then I did the blue backgrounds. What I learned is using a new mat is not wise when doing intricate cuts. It is harder to remove the card stock from the mat. 

After all the pieces were cut, I set about gluing the snowflakes together. The first one was the hardest as it was a learning curve. But it looked good. I did spend time making sure the snowman on the candy was facing the front. 

The second one was easier. I had a bit of a plan on how to glue the white snowflake and how to layer the blue onto the back. 

By the time I got to the third one, I was on a roll. It took about 2.5 hours to cut out all the pieces and put together 6 snowflake candy holders. 

I will be making more of these for next year. I also want to make some other types also. I will cut them out, put them into page protectors and assemble starting in October. 

Knitting

I haven't started the next pair of socks yet. I am having a break to let my shoulder rest. It is almost ready for me to start knitting again. 

Thoughts

    We have had enough storms lately to last me all winter. But that is wishful thinking as we haven't started storm season yet. One nice thing is we will have nice weather for Christmas. It will be a green one. 

    I am enjoying using the Cricut again. I am also learning lots. Using good quality and correct products is important. Having patience and multi tasking while items are cutting is necessary. Having watched videos on how to make junk journals was great as I learned to have dry baby wipes on hand while gluing. They do a great job of cleaning up glue in a hurry without smearing it around. 

    My to-do list for Christmas is almost done. I have devilled eggs to make and a vegetable platter to pick up on Dec. 24. Having the list kept me focused and allowed me to ignore what I didn't need to be working on. I am thinking of making a journal to keep track of what I need to make and do for Christmas. 

Today

I am out to get my hair cut this morning. Once home, I need to work in the sewing room and add the cuffs to a pair of jeans. When they are done, I have nothing left to do in the sewing room. I want to do some counted cross stitching, start knitting on socks and maybe do a bit of extra cleaning. We wait and see what the day brings. 

Until the next time..................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment