Thursday, August 31, 2023

Hearing About Japan

 Yesterday was warm and wet. It rained hard in the morning and then again in the late afternoon. The high got to 24.6C (Humidex 33C) and 3" of rain fell. This morning it is 16C and partly cloudy. It is suppose to be a mix of sun, clouds, and showers with a high of 19C today. The record for most amount of rain was broken yesterday. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning, I sat and watched the rain fall and you could see it coming done in sheets. It was the same while we ate dinner last night. We have seen it rain like this before but it still amazes me how hard the rain can come down no matter where I live. We also had a good thunderstorm at dinner time. Not like the one we had earlier but it was noisy enough to scare family's cat under the bed. 

I cleaned up my bedroom yesterday. The blankets and sheets were laundered, furniture dusted, and floor swept. I hung the last curtain which was a bit of a gong show. I am slowly putting new screws into all the curtain rod holders and I did one more yesterday. It isn't the hardware but the plugs in the wall are a size too big. Human error. I had curtain rod and curtains flailing everywhere before I got the job done. The room is nice and clean now and the curtains keep the room dark. The bonus for me - all the laundry is folded and put away. 

I put garbage out to curb side early yesterday and it was humid outside. It had been like that all day. Our friends who returned from Japan on Sunday were complaining about the humidity. I had the heat pumps on dehumidify to help cool the house and was successful at that. I am finding that having the humidity level in the house constantly at 50% really helps the a/c be more efficient. 

I was out to have dinner at family's. They talked about their trip and showed me pictures of where they went in Tokyo. They showed me what they bought. To cool off from the heat and humidity, they went into arcades and played a few games that gave them prizes. They went to lots of venues to look at what is sold there. And they told me about the food they ate. The most interesting restaurant was one where you ordered your food via a code on your phone and it arrived on a conveyor belt. You can buy food at the 7-11 stores and they have lots of microwaves to heat them in. Food is cheap in Japan though luxury items are expensive. Peaches are expensive but are the best tasting ever according to daughter-in-law. It was a lot of fun to hear about everything. The best time to go to Japan is spring (blossom time) or winter (cooler). Summer is very hot and humid especially when you walk a lot everyday.

Sewing

I had some time in the sewing room yesterday. I cut out the cushion cover backs and inserted the zippers. I looked at the fronts and decided to cross hatch the light green squares. I got 2 squares on one front done before I had to stop. 

Adding the royal blue thread to the squares toned down the green and added depth and interest to the squares. I tied off the threads in the back and put fray check on them so the thread won't unstitch. 

I still have enough of the light green to do the embroidery twice (mistakes can be made) and will be starting it today. There is still .5 meter of the print to make one more cushion cover for the bed and I think I will have all the fabric used. The scraps will go into a bag for the quilter's guild. 

Once I have finished the cardinal cushion cover, I need to start Christmas sewing. I plan on making daughter an apron and her pets stockings. I really want to start my shirt too.

Knitting

I didn't knit last night as I was out. I am at the stage where I need to do a buttonhole and then it will be back to knitting without interruptions until the next button hole. 

Thoughts

    My gut has been really calm for the past 24 hours. I am not sure if it is me relaxing or food. Or ???? We will see today as I had pasta, meat sauce, and cake last night for dinner. I am keeping my food intake simple for the next few days and then see what I can add back. At the moment, I will take the calm tummy as I do feel better. 

    My knee and hip hurt after going up and down the little ladder many times doing the curtain rod. I will be resting for the next couple of days which means no ladder climbing. 

    There are deer around here and a doe with twin fawns are out and about most mornings. They eat the grass at the Crossing and then wander down the road to the green belt where they spend the day. It is so nice to have them around. They are part of a herd that numbers about 10. 

Today

 I am out this morning to have my hair cut and to pay land taxes. I want to do a bit of tidying up when I get home. This afternoon I would like to work on the pillows and start the embroidery. Tonight is knitting. 

Until the next time............................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment