Sunday, August 06, 2023

A Bag Is Finished

 Yesterday we had the full gamut of weather. Sunshine, wind, rain, showers, and thunderstorms. The high got to 24.9C (humidex 31) and almost an inch of rain fell. This morning it is cloudy and 17C. It is to be mainly cloudy with a high of 25C. 

Lifestyle

I went and got groceries between showers yesterday morning. I found these little snack bowls and got them for myself and daughter. They were on sale and matched the cat placemats to perfection.

When I got them home and ready to put away, I realized they were both cracked. One had one long crack and a chip and the other was had 2 cracks. I returned them after lunch and will look for something at Ikea in this colour. 

The humidity yesterday was horrible. I felt exhausted walking from the grocery store to the car in the humidity. The thunderstorms we had were close as they came in from Halifax and over us. We were under a severe thunderstorm watch and it lasted about 4-5 hours. The rain fell heavily at times and the ditch behind the gravel did fill up quite full compared to my side of the gravel. The power was on and off for about an hour. The cause was lightening strikes. 

I did my exercises twice yesterday and then did quite a bit of stretching in bed. I am still sore but things seems to be a bit better. The pain is still in my hip but my knee may be less stiff. I will keep doing the exercises and stretching. 

Sewing

After returning the cracked dishes, I headed out to the quilt shop nearest me. I needed new rotary blades and a new cutting mat. I got both with the cutting mat being 24 x 36" which is larger than my old one. I also bought interfacing for the two shirts I am going to make plus an apron pattern. 

My plan is to make daughter an apron using these fabrics. 

I have lots of the boot fabric and will probably make a couple of bags out of it. Or maybe line a purse for myself later on. I bought it years ago when I lived in Dawson Creek. 

My time in the sewing room was spent sewing up the child's bag. I had prepped the lining and was able to start sewing. When the lining was finished, I had to cut off 5/8" so it wouldn't sag into a mess at the bottom. My usual step when making these bags. 

The bag was very thick to top stitch as it has a layer of interfacing and fusible fleece on the outer fabric and interfacing on the lining. But I used up a lot of fabric when making this bag (1.75 of fabric and 3 meters of interfacing and fleece). It was a great stash buster. The fabric has been on the shelf for about 18 months.

The back is plainer than the front as I was using fat quarters. 

The lining is a yellow fabric that has a mottled look. I did sew a large snap at the top so it can be closed. 

I am pleased to have this bag made and ready to give away. 

I did measure the shirting fabric and there is 12 meters to donate. I also measured the backing and binding for the table runner and there is 2.25 meters for it. I did look at a bit of fabric but I'm not sure if I will keep or donate it. It remains on the shelving unit at this time. 

Knitting

I knit on the doll's leggings last night and am making good progress. I may have them done before the end of the week. I'm not thinking about the next project at this time. It will probably be doll's clothes as they are easier to knit in the summer. I do want to knit a vest for myself this fall. 

Thoughts

    The thunderstorm we had last night was the third one we've had this summer. They have been loud and close which has never happened in previous years. We would hear a few rumbles and then the storm would be gone. Not this year when they come right over us.

    I have to rethink the garden next year. I have a tomato plant in the middle of the cucumber bed and it is getting hidden from the jungle of cucumber vines. I will have to rethink how I will plant the tomatoes next year. Everything else seems to be happy so I will be doing much the same next year and rotating the beds as we normally did. 

    I am still enjoying purging the sewing room. It is fun to look at the fabric still on the shelving unit and think about how I can sew them or if they need to be donated. The same goes for the trims and notions. It is also nice to be able to focus on an area, do the purge and then clean it. The goal is to have a room I enjoy sewing in that isn't filled with items I dread having to figure out projects for. My only job yesterday was to empty the overflowing garbage cans. 

Today

I have to do the balance sheet first and then make my lunch as I am going to watch grandson play soccer in the city. If I have time, I will prep the lining for daughter's bag and sew on it. I know I need to be ready to go at 11:00 am. When I get home, I will need to do my exercises and make dinner. I hope to knit tonight. 

Until the next time...............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment