Wednesday, August 09, 2023

The Last Bag Completed

 Yesterday was a mix of sun and cloud with a high of 24C (humidex 28C). We had an inch of rain fall before midnight. This morning there is a thunderstorm, rain, and the temperature is 20C. We are to have thunderstorms and rain today with a high of 22C. 

Lifestyle

The thunderstorm arrived about 4:45 am and with it heavy rain. The ditch has lots of water in it from drainage and it looks like we've had about 2.5" of rain fall according to the rain gauge. 

As yesterday was nice, I went outside to work. I had laundry on the go and it was almost done when I went out. I weeded and sprayed around the shed. When I got to the back of the shed, I pruned the rose bush. It has more buds coming on it. Once I was done, I put a brick on top of the bricks that frame the shed and define the bed. I like it so may be doing a second row next year. 

Once done the shed, I headed to the hedge and started to weed it. I used the dutch hoe to pull out the weeds and picked them up to put into the bucket. I also pruned the underside of 2 bushes. When that was done, I cleaned up and went inside. I was tired.

While weeding, I heard a voice and almost jumped out of my skin. It wasn't the lawn mowers voice but that of the man who does the lawn care. He was around to spray for cinch bugs. I had some still showing at the driveway and near the back deck. We talked about tomatoes (he's jealous of mine) and peppers (his are ready to pick). We also talked about how lovely my lawn and the people behind me's lawn is looking like a nice expanse of green. It will be even better looking next year. 

I was extremely sore most of yesterday. It was so sore that I put heat on my back. Nothing helped due to the storm coming it. It is better this morning but there is still a sore spot  in my right side (rib area). My hips and knees are better. I didn't do any of the required exercises but I did do a lot of stretching of my body. 

Sewing

I spent the afternoon in the sewing room. It was a long afternoon in the room. 

First, I finished the third bag. The bag project is done. 

Two of the bags were made from fabrics in the stash. The third was a panel sent to me by daughter and I bought the fabrics for it. But the interfacing and fusible fleece came from the stash. I used 4.5 meters in those 3 bags. I still have more interfacing than I want but I also have more bags to make. It will disappear in a hurry. 

Once I was done with the bag, I looked at the fabric stash. I pulled out the blue fabrics and donated all but one piece. I will use it for a lining in a bag for myself. I put fabrics on the floor to think about. I sorted the Christmas fabric according to size. I did some tidying up on the shelf thinking about how I really want the remaining fabric sewn up. What I didn't do was touch the black fabric. That clean up yielded another 8.4 meters to donate. 

I looked at the garment fabric and was shocked. I thought I had sewn all the fleece into blankets but sitting on the shelf (laughing at me) was more. 

Both pieces are Polartec Power Shield. I found them when doing a clean up of the fleece when working in the fabric store (2017). These were to be put into the bargain center according to the sheet I had. They had been pushed behind other fleece on the shelf and hadn't seen the light of day for a few years. I grabbed them both and discontinued them. I also bought the purple and half of the red (not photographed) at a deep discount. These are not for the dogs, they are for me. I am going to make myself some jackets out of them. 

I also looked at the pillow I want to make. I have an 18" square of fabric and the pillow form is 20". I need to cut back the fabric so I can add nice borders to the pillow. My brain wasn't working so I put it away and left the sewing room. 

While I was making dinner, I worked on a patch for grandson. He needs it for his diabetic bag. I have it designed with his approval and will be reviewing how to do it today. 

I found 2 videos on YouTube on how to increase sleeves for fuller arms. I had learned the first way which is how most people increase for a full bicep. The presenter's way showed how to increase the sleeve length to account for the sleeve being shorter. The second way was how to increase for batwing arms (my arms are these -- they sag down under my arm). That was interesting. I will be doing this when I start sewing for myself. 

Knitting

I picked up the leggings and knit on them last night. I have 10 rows left until both legs are the same length. Then it is decision time - how many more rows before I do the ribbing. 

Thoughts

    I looked at the sewing room yesterday and realized it is time to start fresh. I am ready to move forward and enjoy this room to the fullest without feeling burdened by the fabrics I have. Yesterday I noticed that I had little to no emotional attachment to the fabrics I donated. I didn't have a desire to spend any time figuring out what to make from them. A huge step forward on my part. 

    The other thing I noticed is that I don't want to feel like I need to sew for hours every day just to downsize the stash. I want to enjoy sewing projects rather than feeling like I must sew. I want to feel creative and do a wider variety of sewing. I want to know that I can spend time doing some of the things I have read about or watched on videos. I also want to know it is okay to do other things besides sew for hours each day. I am removing the burden of the stash from my shoulders. 

    I have also realized I want more balance in my life. I do love to sew and knit but I also enjoy cooking and restoring old items. I also enjoy the Cricut which has taken a back seat and working outside in the yard. I also want to just sit and do nothing but admire what I have accomplished. 

Today

I need to watch a video on how to do grandson's patch so I can finish it. I also want to cook some spaghetti sauce for a few meals. What ever else happens will be a bonus as the patch takes priority at this time. I do hope to knit tonight. 

Until the next time.............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment