Sunday, July 23, 2023

The Day After

 Yesterday's weather was much better than Friday's. We had no rain during the day and a high of 26.5C. (humidex 35C). This morning it is cloudy and 20C. We are to have a mix of sun, clouds, and a few showers with a high of 27C (humidex 35C). 

Lifestyle

I am going to admit I did very little yesterday. I emptied the recycling into its bins in the garage and did a small tidy up in the kitchen. It was all I could handle. 

I was over to my neighbour's house to see how she was doing. She didn't get to sleep until 4 am and was up by 7 am due to her dog being a nervous wreck during the thunderstorms. We talked for a bit, went out to check the garage to see if there was water in it (none) and looked at the back yard. No damage that we could see. The drainage ditch behind their property is a river full of red soil due to erosion. 

After making sure her property was safe, we walked along the ditch at my property. There is a pile of shale that tumbled through my driveway culvert. It came ahead of the gravel that washed down into the ditch. Looking further down the street we don't know where it came from as the next house down had only water come through their culvert. 

I will have to deal with it through the county as it shouldn't go through the culvert under the road. I will ask about getting the two corner posts found on my lot and find out about the drainage ditch -- permits, etc. I know where my drainage ditch is and it is on the other side of my property. 

After lunch, I had a 2 hour nap and felt better. I went for a short drive and stopped to talk to a friend. He was shovelling and sweeping gravel out of his driveway. The people next to him had a good 1/2" of water in their basement. Other than that, I know of no other damage in our area but am assuming there was some. The road out of the subdivision has gravel washed across it in a couple of places. I headed into town to see the damage. There was flooding in some areas and some business were closed and others were opened. I left as there was an emergency. The highway from our exit to Halifax was closed until late last night. The fire station was active with a lot of search and rescue items attached to vehicles. Two helicopters were flying around. There is a search and rescue going on to find missing people in submerged vehicles. We don't need that in the midst of everything else that happened. 

I was out in the garden and it is soupy. I emptied the rain gauge and there was over 5" of rain in it. 

The yellow cup thing at the top was half filled with water when I went to empty it. The red is the measuring puck. 

I know we had an inch fall on Friday and the remaining fell during Friday night's storm. 

I checked the vegetable boxes and, though wet, the plants are fine. I picked beans for dinner and they were delicious. 

There are plenty more to come over the next couple of weeks. 

I also picked one pea pod and we will have to pick them soon. 

I was wakened at 4:30 am with the emergency alert coming through on my phone. The dam in the community 6 km from us breached its sides. People had to evacuate for the 2nd time in 24 hours. The province has declared a state of emergency for the province and it is going to be a while before things become normal again. Fiona came through 10 months ago to the day. The province is still recovering from it and the fires we had earlier this summer. 

I did not sew or knit yesterday. My trips to the basement were to check to make sure it was dry and to bag up the pieces I donated to the quilter's guild. I took them over to my friend's when I checked on her. 

Today

I have to do the balance sheet and get groceries. I hope to sew today but am not sure about knitting. I am still tired though I slept a lot but was awakened with the emergency alert which left me shaken. I will survive this. 

Until the next time.....................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment