Friday, July 07, 2023

Working On A Doll's Apron

 Yesterday was hot because it was humid. The sun shone all day and the high got to 28.9C (humidex 37C). This morning there are some clouds and it is 20C. We are to have more sunshine and 31C with a humidex of 38C. We remain under a heat warning again today. 

Lifestyle

My first job of the morning (before coffee and feeding Elliott) is to empty the water tank on the dehumidifier. Yesterday it was almost full. This morning it was about 1/4 full. I am running both of the heat pump heads on dehumidify to keep the house cool and help with getting rid of the moisture in the air. It seems to be working. I also put up the deck umbrella which keeps the hot sun off the kitchen window. I was amazed at how much that helped. 

I washed the bed linens yesterday and made the bed just before dinner. I cleaned the bathroom and my biggest complaint, once again, is how much fluff we get off the toilet paper. Complaining isn't going to make it go away so I just worked at getting rid of it. Yesterday was clean the soaker tub. I don't use it and mainly dust it. But it needed cleaning. I kneeled on the edged and leaned into the tub and washed it. I have never done that before and it worked. My back muscles let me know they are weak but it did my body good to stretch in that position. 

I was in and out some during the day. I did pick lettuce for my neighbours to have. I will get the next picking in a few days. I also replanted one of the plants but did most of the work in the garage. I was limiting my time outside so I wouldn't get heat stroke. 

The company that does the weed control, fertilizing, etc. arrived to do weed control yesterday. I went out to talk to the person and then went in to text the mower not to come until Saturday afternoon. The person was going to try and spray between the plants in the hedge so I will have less to pull when the weather cools off. 

Sewing

I finished trimming the cardinal blocks and they are ready to be bagged. It took a bit of time as I was being super careful with my measurements. 

I went looking for the tracing pellon for the doll's outfit and I found more than I thought I had. I got out the smaller pieces to use up and got the apron traced. My back was aching while doing it (from cleaning the bath tub) so I sat down to cut out the little pattern pieces. As I was using scraps of fabric, I had issues. Pieces cut wrong and fussy cutting left me with less fabric. The apron top will be lined with broadcloth which I knew was going to happen. 

I spent some time sewing the apron together. I am impressed with it so far. I pinned the bodice of the apron to the skirt to see how it would look. The fussy cutting paid off. 

It isn't a good picture but you can see what it will look like (sort of). The lighting around the sewing machine can be crappy on sunny afternoons. I don't know why it's like that. I will try to get a better picture today. 

I hobbled out of the room around 3:30 pm and rested my back. The pain left before I went to bed. 

I starched a piece of fabric for the backing on 2 placemats. It fell on the deck and I now need to wash and starch it again. It is okay as I need to do a bunch of starching. 

Knitting

The legging go on the doll perfectly. I didn't have to start again. I knit on them and have divided for the legs. Awkward instructions but I figured it out (I hope). They are turning out cute. I tried the sweater on the doll and it fits to perfection. Now to find buttons for it. 

Thoughts

    I had to promise family I wouldn't go out for long periods of time while we are under this heat warning. I am limiting my time outside to 10 minutes every hour or so. I do less outside in the afternoon when it is the hottest. I am also making sure I am drinking a lot of fluids. 

    When I picked lettuce, I took a quick look at the vegetables. All the boxes need weeding. The vegetables are growing rapidly and I need to fertilize them. I will do that tomorrow night before I water them. I will need to water the tubs out in the front this morning as they don't get as much rain on them as the ones in the back. 

    The lawn is super long. So long we knock it over when we walk on it. It is super healthy and I won't need to have it over seeded this year. Just continue on with the program I have set up with the company I have hired to do the job. 

    The outside humidity is so great that the outside of the windows fog up during the night. It only happens at night and is usually gone shortly after I get up. I have only experienced this in Nova Scotia so it is something that still amazes me. 

    I was shocked at how much tracing pellon I had in the stash. I had forgotten about it. Not enough to trace my shirt onto but enough that I won't have to buy more to trace smaller items for quite a while. I am thinking of bagging it and labeling it so I can see it easily. Right now it is hidden at the bottom of a basket on the stash shelf. 

Today

The plan is to clean my bedroom this morning. I also need to water the front plants this morning. This afternoon I hope to starch fabric and finish the doll's apron. I will knit on the leggings tonight. It is going to be an inside day with just a few trips out to check on things. I need to see if there are more roses to pick and I want to put up the deck umbrella. 

Until the next time.........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment