Saturday, July 15, 2023

Another Hot Day

 Yesterday was another hot day. It clouded up in the evening as a storm passed by us without giving us any rain. The high got to 30.5C (humidex 36C). This morning it is cloudy and 21C. We are to have showers and 26C (humidex 34C). The heat warning is over with but it is still going to feel hot when you go outside. 

Lifestyle

I swept floors up and downstairs yesterday to remove fluff (cat hair). It wasn't as bad as expected. I filled the pond with water (2 gallons) due to evaporation. I also put up the umbrella to keep the kitchen shaded and cooler. 

I spent some time out in the garden. The peas are in full bloom as are the beans. It was the lettuce that amazed me. 

I looked at the peppers and they are starting to show buds. I weeded the box after I took the picture. But, the lettuce had to be picked. I have a lot of it to eat. 

On the way in to wash and bag the lettuce, I did pull weeds around the shed as it was in the shade. A bit here and there and it may get done during the heat. I have a lot of the weeds out of the garden boxes and keep at it when I check the plants. 

Sewing

Yesterday I focused on getting the quilt ready to go to the long arm quilter. This quilt is still giving me stress attacks. I pressed the top of the quilt and laid it on the floor. I grabbed the backing and it had to be laundered. While it was in the washer and dryer I got out the batting. I could have cried. 

The batting I thought was one large piece for the quilt was 2 smaller pieces. Not even big enough for the wall hanging. I now have to buy batting for the quilt. If that wasn't a blow, when I pressed the backing fabric, it had 2 brown marks on it.  I bought it like that years ago from a quilt shop. I pressed around them and proceeded to be more stressed. Did I need to buy backing also?

My neighbour came over to help me and slipped coming down the last 3 stairs. She was okay but it scared me. She is now to wear her shoes in the house. We laid out the quilt carefully and the brown marks are either not going to be in the quilt or at the very edge and hidden by the binding. We cut off the excess fabric, measured for batting, folded up the fabric and bag it for me to take in. 

I threw the excess fabric into a pile saying it was for the trash. My neighbour grabbed it and said they can use it at her quilting group. She wants all my scraps that are 2" wide or wider put into a bag for the group. They use them up in scrappy quilts. Done deal. I can do that for them plus they can have any quilting cottons I don't want. 

We looked at the wall hanging and I need to square it up some. I showed her my quilting experience when the Juki threw a tension fit on me. Other than the rotten tension, my neighbour said my quilting was beautiful. I almost fell over from that comment. Maybe I need to rethink free motion quilting and try again. 

I did not look at the doll's dress only to show it to my neighbour. I was frustrated with the batting and knew it wasn't my day to sew. 

Knitting

I did pick up the leggings and knit quite a bit on them yesterday. I am ready to decrease again. 

They are actually a very easy knit. I did find it warm to knit with the wool even though the house was cool. It's called summer time. But, I will try to continue knitting some each day. 

Thoughts

    I have been binging on DIY videos when I have my down time. Desert DYI is going for a look I like but am not familiar with (French Country). She is using blues, taupes, bright whites, and sage green. I like her ideas and it has me wanting to try out a few of her ideas. I think what I like is her pulling together a cohesive look in her home. 

    I am going to spend a bit of time going through the quilting cottons. I want to do a sort of what I really need and what I can put into a bag for my neighbour's quilting group. I'm thinking a morning will get quite a bit done. 

Today

I have to take in the waist of son's shorts today and then I will be doing a few other things I want to do. Some will be outside and others inside. It remains to be seen what I will do but I hope to get out into the garage and clean up some of the Spousal Unit's items so I can paint a table. I've had it for 3 or 4 summers now and it needs to be done and put into the house. 

Until the next time................................................


No comments:

Post a Comment