Monday, July 24, 2023

I Dug My First Garlic

 Yesterday was humid and warm. We did not have any rain until around 8 pm and then had a good shower (which we didn't need). The high got to 26.5C (humidex 35C). This morning it is foggy and 16C. We are to have a mix of sun and cloud and a high of 27C (humidex 33C).

Lifestyle

I slept in yesterday morning so was late getting things done. I did the balance sheet with no issues but it did raise some anger, once again, about the mortgage situation. Once done and showered I was out to get groceries.

The one grocery store I usually shop at was closed until later in the day. I went to the other grocery store and got the necessities I need for several days. Once home, I had lunch as it was noon. 

Late in the afternoon, I was out to dead head the petunias and give them some fertilizer. I weeded the garlic and checked the carrots. The cat is back so I need to reapply the cayenne pepper powder to the garden. While weeding the garlic, two tiny tops fell off and I dug out the bulbs. They are very dirty but I dug my first garlic. 

They are drying in the garage and I will check on them in the next day to see how they look once the dirt is dried and brushed off them. I'll use them for cooking. The other garlic will need to be pulled this weekend as they are almost ready. 

The new chickens decided to visit last evening. My neighbour across the street yelled at the owner's children and they got them out of the yard. I will have to watch them carefully as the garden is producing and I don't need chickens wrecking it. 

I thought I was on a weight plateau as I am due but I lost another 1.1 lbs this week for a total of 44.5 lbs. I ate a bit more the past couple of days as I was hungry and more active. 

There are no evacuation alerts and the main highway is open to Bedford. Search and rescue continues to look for the missing people. The province and county are now dealing with road repairs and people are dealing with what ever they have to fix. There is an air of sadness in the communities but people are out to help each other. The people next door to me aren't home so the gravel is still in the ditch. I will throw the shale out of the ditch on a cool morning so the county can pick it up. The gravel will be dealt with once they are home. 

Sewing

I sewed yesterday and got the last bowl cozy completed. 


This is the stack of 6 bowl cozies on top of 4 placemats and 4 potholders. 

I moved on to complete placemat #5. It is done, trimmed and ready for binding. 

Placemat #6 is ready to be sandwiched, quilted and trimmed. Once done, I will make the binding and put it on. All I will have left to do is the 4 mug rugs. 

I am now getting ready to start on the bags. I won't be going to sew at the quilt shop tomorrow as I am not ready mentally or physically. If they have no air conditioning in the classroom I will not last the full day as tomorrow is going to be hot. 

Knitting

None done last night. No energy to even unravel the leggings. 

Today

I am planning on going into the bank to see how they are progressing with the mortgage mess. I need to do a few things in the house if I have time. I will be trying to sew this afternoon. I am not sure if I will unravel the leggings tonight but I should try. I find I am really tired by night due to the heat and humidity. 

Until the next time............................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment