Monday, July 17, 2023

One Job Done

 Yesterday was another very warm day. The sun did shine in the afternoon and it got to 29.5C (humidex 37C). This morning it is cloudy and 22C (humidex 29C). We could have showers today with a high of 28C (humidex 35C). 

Lifestyle

Yesterday I started out the morning doing the balance sheet. Grandson arrived with son's shorts so I could finish altering them. We went over his writing and he left for home. I cleaned up the paperwork and prepped to go shopping. 

Before shopping, I cleaned the sanding dust off the two pieces with baby wipes. Next I did a coat of primer on them. When that was done, I was out to go grocery shopping. 

When I got home and put away the groceries, I watered the potted plants. I also had to put about 2 gallons of water into the pond. Things dry out fast in the heat. 

With the humidity, the primer is slow to dry. In the afternoon it was dry enough that I could put another coat on. Those  are done except for a bit of sanding. I can do the other 2 legs but need to get wood filler for the other shelf. I may go in and get it today.

I was out for dinner at family's last night. The pulled pork was delicious. We had it on buns with a salad that I provided and grandson made. Daughter-in-law did an awesome job of smoking the pork. I helped with clean up and came home to water the garden. 

Sewing

I spent a lot of time finishing up the alterations on the shorts. They fit but figuring out the order of what to do was fun. I must have sewed up and picked out the elastic 4 times. I finally got the combination right and they were finished. I am pretty proud of the job I did. I hate alterations and only do it for family. The 2nd pair is marked and ready for me to do today. I want them done while the process is fresh in my mind.  Then it is back to my other sewing. I need to finish the doll's outfit and the winter fabric items.

I spent some time playing with fabrics in the spare bedroom. I don't have a lot of the print so I must make some decisions. 

I have eliminated the bright green and kept the one that looks off white. It is a soft sage green in colour. I have .5 meter of the print which I want to make into a table runner for the dresser. 

The left over pieces will become something else in that room. Maybe pillow covers for the bed. I can do a block with the remaining fabrics. I also played with the flowers and need to get another white one for this arrangement. This hydrangea is too big. The vase is a glass Nabob coffee jar - very old and unique. 

I can fit in the items that need to be sewn here and there and I know it won't be long before the room is done and waiting for the painter. 

Thoughts

    I am happy to be back to refinishing furniture. It was a big decision to make but I'm glad I decided to start. The little table was a great project to start with as I've learned a lot in the past week about what products to use. A good primer and baby wipes are your best friends when getting an item ready to paint. 

    I was going to start decorating in my bedroom but the spare room is the right choice. It is closer to being done. In other words, the list of items to do and buy is shorter than my bedroom. It is also a room which I have a fairly good vision of how I want it to look. My bedroom's vision is emerging and the list of what to buy and do is longer. The only things I've done is buy the sheets and look at fabric.

    I am finding the humidity and heat is exhausting. I'm not the only one feeling this way. I keep going but as the day progresses, I get tired and just want to sit and watch TV. By 7 pm I am done. Usually the humidity is lower when it is hot but not this year. It is making it unbearable for everyone. I am fighting to keep the humidity in the house at 50% which has never been a problem before. And I have a dehumidifier this year. 

Today

I need to phone the car dealership to get the car back in. The check engine light is on once again. I need to run into town, get the wood filler and the name of the painter so I can get a quote. Priming the remaining table legs is on the agenda. I want to alter the second pair of shorts. I doubt if I will knit again tonight as I will be tired. The heat and humidity are taking its toll on me by the late afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment