Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Hot and Dehydrated

 Yesterday was quite warm for us. The sun shone and the official high was 26.8C at Kentville, the temperature was closer to 29C here in our area. This morning it is clear and 12C. We are to have increasing cloudiness and a high of 29C. Showers or drizzle tonight. 

Lifestyle

I was out to shop in good time yesterday. I got groceries, a rug for the deck, and more solar batteries. By the time I got home, it was quite warm but I had to get things done after the groceries were put away and laundry started.

I changed the batteries in the two larger solar lights and they ran all night. I also made another jar solar lamp. I need to let them dry and apply hot glue to the inside of the lid so they are water proof. I will do that after I paint the lids. With all the lights fixed, I was one happy camper.

I laid the rug on the deck and had to put the plant on one corner to keep it flat. The bright yellow rug was just what was needed on the deck. . 

I sat on one of the chairs for a few minutes but had to go in. I was hot and dehydrated. 

The garden is growing quickly. I replanted the cucumber seeds as they rotted in all the rain. The peas and beans have grown fast with the heat. 

I will put seeds into the areas that are empty in the bean box. We eat a lot of beans when they are ready. Grandson picks and eats them raw as do I.

The peas are for daughter-in-law though I will eat some of them. 

The carrots are still small. I will thin them when they are a bit bigger as they are so tiny. Everything else is doing well and over the shock of being so wet from the rain. I will be eating lettuce in the next 10 days. 

I set up the sprayer to spray some weeds last night. The sprayer doesn't work so I now need to empty out the solution and return the sprayer. I was set to spray under the deck only to have another set back in that department. I watered the garden and plants instead so they will be fine in the heat today. 

My glucose readings were interesting yesterday. Breakfast was 5.6 (good), lunch was 7.8 (dehydrated) and dinner was 4.8. I drank a lot of fluid after lunch and fell asleep on the couch. I had about an hours nap. When I woke, I had more fluids to make sure I was not dehydrated. I do have a habit of not having a big glass of water mid morning if I am busy. 

Sewing

I cut out 2 pot holders from the scraps of the winter fabric to take to sewing today. I am thrilled I can use up all the scraps making smaller items. I still have to cut out mug rugs to go with this project. 

I will have to decide what to do with the remaining winter fabric. I may make a wall hanging by stretching the fabric over a painter's canvas. It can hang on the wall under the heat pump head. I can also make some hot pads for the table. I want to use up the fabric so it is not languishing in the stash. 

Knitting

I didn't look at my knitting last night. I should have as the house was cool but I wasn't in the mood. I don't knit as much in the summer though I really. have no excuse not to. 

Daughter-in-law brought me over 2 balls of sock yarn for doll clothes. It is an off white wool which I will make sweaters for the dolls. 

Thoughts

    I am enjoying the outside work though it is time consuming. The vegetables have been a success as I am doing what the Spousal Unit did over the years. He was an amazing gardener and I will be happy to be a good gardener. The flowers were my department and I am having fun with them. 

    I am finished decorating the deck. The big bbq will be here this year. Family will take it when they get the area ready for it next summer. I'm okay with that. The back yard is finished and I will turn my attention to the front yard. I need to weed the hedge, spray weeds, and decide on what I want to do. 

    I need to get into the shed on cool damp days and clean it. I am thinking a couple of mornings will have it done to my satisfaction. Once done, I can get it organized so I have room for everything to be stored this winter. 

Today

I am out to Gather and Sew all day. I have to pack my lunch, make sure I have all my projects, and go for a day away from home. I do have to water the garden tonight. 

Until the next time...............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment