Friday, June 30, 2023

Following A Plan Means Success

 There was very little rain fell during the day. If any, it was a bit of drizzle. The sun did try to shine and it was a bit brighter even when cloudy. The rain basically fell in the very early morning and after dark and amounted to almost 1". The high go to 25.5C with a humidex of 33C. We had rain again during the night and it is cloudy this morning. It is 18C.  We are to have rain today with a high of 26C (humidex 33C). I am sure we have had the wettest start to summer in a long time. 

Lifestyle

I cleaned up the living room yesterday and washed all the blankets. I now need to put the blankets back onto the furniture. I took out the garbage and even put more items into the compost bin at the end of the driveway. It wasn't emptied until dinner time. I also picked up any clutter that had appeared and put the placemats onto the table. I am slowly working my way through the cleaning plan. 

I went grocery shopping to get items I need for July 1 dinner. It was busy at the grocery store as people must be getting ready to either celebrate at home or go to their summer cottages. Usually all the stores are closed on July 1 but I didn't see signs stating that yesterday. I wonder if the rules are changing here. I really don't mind the stores being closed on holidays. 

I have been eating very carefully since seeing the doctor. The piece of cake didn't agree with me (not use to sugar) so I went back to eating the basics. I've lost 2.4 lbs this week from eating strictly. I've lost 40.4 lbs to date. I've noticed that my knee and hip don't hurt as much and I can do more than I could when I started on this journey. I have less IBS attacks also. 

I have been wishing the rain would stop for a while so I can go out and fertilize the garden, thin the carrots, and pick the lettuce. I want lettuce for tomorrow's dinner so may have to get my feet wet sometime in the next 24 hours. The garden is growing rapidly which is nice. The lawn is getting long once again. It is very healthy and dark green. The hedge still needs weeding and I will get to it after the lawn is mowed. The weeds are dying along the road and I am monitoring that. I will see if I need to do more spraying at the end of July. I have waged war against the weeds this year and I seem to be winning.

Sewing

With my plan in place, I went down to stitch out block #9 and hand sew down the binding on one placemat. Block #9 gave me a bit of a headache at the beginning so I rethreaded the machine and it stitched out beautifully. 

I wanted to hand sew the binding down with a close matching blue thread. I looked at the thread by the embroidery machine and there it was. Azure blue (Glide). 


While the block stitched out, I happily hand sewed down the binding. I also did some thinking and dreaming about what I want to sew this summer. 

The two items I worked on yesterday. I did what was on my plan. 

The sewing table is getting empty and I am happy about that. I need to wash some starched fabric for a doll's outfit, see if I can cut out a couple more mug rugs, and begin planning my next projects. 

I am going to make a shirt for myself and will need to buy tracing pellon. The pattern is multi sized and I want to keep it pristine so I can trace a smaller size in the future. I will need to buy buttons for it as most of my buttons are doll sized. 

The other project is the cardinal quilt. I need to starch the fabrics so I can cut out the pieces for it. I have some of the corner pieces cut but ran out of starched fabric. I am looking forward to sewing this quilt as I have only 3 more blocks to embroider. It will be a quilt as you go. 

I dug in the stash and found the fabrics to make 2 more placemats in blue and a teal green. I just need to buy batting for them. That will be almost 2 more meters from the stash.  

I started to plan another quilt which is going to be super simple. I will cut out 9 blocks about 21 x 21" and sew it into a 9 patch. Then I will cut the big block into 4 equal pieces and move the blocks so I have a disappearing 9 patch. Right now I am trying to figure out how to have the directional print going in one direction as there will be 4 blocks of it. I know for certain 2 blocks should be upside down. My next step is to decide if I can do it as a quilt as you go. I am mulling this around in my head as I do other things. All I know is I have the fabric in the stash for this quilt. I think I even have the thread to quilt it. I only need to buy batting for this quilt. 

I am starting to see a trend here -- fabric in the stash and needing to buy batting. I can live with that. 

Knitting

I picked up my knitting last night and finished the doll's sweater. I took off the crochet trim on the bottom and like the sweater a lot more. I now need to steam it and put on the buttons. No pictures as I finished it just before I went to bed. 

Today

I have a busy morning making potato salad and devilled eggs for dinner tomorrow night. I make them 24 hours before eating so the flavour comes out. I will also do some cleaning upstairs while I wait for the food to cook. I want to hand sew the binding on another placemat and trim the threads on block #9. I will steam the doll's sweater, sew on the buttons and find the needles for the leggings. I would like to start them tonight. 

Until the next time...................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment