Monday, October 18, 2021

Test Pattern Dress Done

 Yesterday was a grey day that ended up giving us over 1/2" of rain. Some of the showers were heavy. The wind blew and it was a very blustery day. The high got to 18.6C. This morning it is 12C and we are to have a high of 14C with a small chance of showers. 

Lifestyle

I decided to do no housework yesterday morning. Instead I went down the genealogy hole. It was interesting as my focus was on my favorite uncle. He married into the family. He was an orphan though his parent were alive in Birmingham. Many of his siblings were sent to Canada by a home and lived with families in New Brunswick. Did they ever see each other? I wondered as they came over on 2 different boats with 3 children from the family each time. They lived in the same area of New Brunswick and I have a feeling they might have from a few vague comments my uncle made. My uncle remained in the orphanage, trained as a baker, was in South Africa during the war, and came to Canada as a young man. I know he came to be with his sister in New Brunswick and worked in a logging camp with some of my uncles. What I didn't know was he lived about 20 miles from us in 1932 and was a baker in that community. A lot learned while reviewing his branch of the family tree. 

Sewing

I had 2 good hours in the sewing room. I made 4 buttonholes and was extremely pleased with them. I sewed 12 button on the front of the dress and the 4 on the back. A ribbon at the neck line and it was done.

Though people love it, I thought it was a bit bland. It is growing on me this morning as it took me longer to like the soft colors I chose. 

Though I snipped the neckline well, the collar wants to stand out. I will be tacking the two back points down to the dress. One more outfit from the 1930-1940's for when I dress the dolls in that era. 

Now it is back to the quilt. 

Knitting

I knit on the cat's sweater and am getting close to finishing the body.

The light colored yarn is waste yarn and will be removed to knit the arm holes. I'm looking forward to this part as it is both exciting and scary. 

I am ready to look and make decisions on the yarn cube. I have bought 10 balls of yarn this month. Four balls are for socks for daughter. One is for a messy bun hat and the rest are for the dolls. I still need to buy yarn for another hat for daughter.

I do keep the yarn sorted by weight but some of those containers are so full the yarn is being shoved into them. I need to go through the tubs and put together what yarn will be for dolls (mine and the little girl I sew and knit for), hats, socks, and then ??. I know I have enough yarn now to knit 6 pairs of socks. I want to knit some hats using this pattern. I have a lot of this weight yarn for hats and this will be a perfect pattern along with the messy bun hat pattern I love to knit. 

The goal of yarn cube is to have a few balls of 3 or 4 different weights in the tubs so I can knit on doll clothes, socks and a few hats. I want to expand my knitting to a couple of throws so will need a tub for that yarn.

The goal is to have less yarn than I have but enough to keep me busy in the evenings. 

Today

I am going to do some housework, sew on the quilt, and knit on the cat sweater. 

Until the next time.........................................

No comments:

Post a Comment