Thursday, March 28, 2024

A Box Of Fabric

 Yesterday was cloudy and a bit wet. About 1/3" of rain fell and the high got to 13.4C. This morning it is cloudy and 12C. We are to have rain or drizzle with a high of 14C today. 

Lifestyle

I was out early for physiotherapy. It was a great session. I am moving better and we are working on getting the right leg to rotate more inwards and outwards. I did the gym exercises and the balance board before having the TENS machine and heat so I wouldn't have inflammation or soreness in the muscles we worked. The muscles are starting to relax when worked vs tightening up. 

Once home, I sat on the heating pad and had my 2nd cup of coffee. I was tired as I had done 40 minutes where my body was either relaxing to be moved manually or it was physically working out. I did alternate between the heating pad and doing laundry and a few other little jobs. The heat really helped. 

I was out for dinner with my friend and we had fish and chips at a restaurant I had never been to. It was good but not the best fish and chips I have had. We had a great time out and then she came in to see the mother lode of fabric daughter sent me. 

Sewing and Crafts

I got row 6 sewn onto the main part of the quilt. The seam on the back has been done and it is ready for me to sew all 48" of it. 

I am on track to having it done to hand sewing down the binding by April 1. I can work on that in short spurts after that.

Daughter excitedly told me that the box of fabric was waiting for me to pick up. I did that just before lunch and Elliott and I opened it after I ate. 


He watched me remove all the fabric and admired it with me (sniffing the animal and people smells). As I was texting daughter, he got into the box and laid down on top of the Christmas fabric. 

He did let me take the fabrics out and he had a wonderful time resting in the box. 

The box had a wide variety of items in it. I have to make two smaller quilts for daughter using up what she sent. You will see more of them as time goes on. Both use panels. The first one is to be auctioned off and I wanted to get it right. I hauled what went well over to my friends. 

The dog panel will have flying geese around it and then will be bound with a dark fabric that my friend had made and put away. She also printed me off a copy of a pattern to make the flying geese. Elliott approves.

For the records, Elliott never gets into boxes that I open. He will sniff them and then leave me to enjoy the contents. I was surprised and laughing when he joined in to help me unpack this box. 

I have looked up information on how to make the flying geese blocks and am ready to begin making them when I have time. 

Knitting

I got the first sock completed and I had my issues with it. I finally got it done after a few choice words were said. 

I didn't start the second sock last night as I was tired and spent the evening thinking about the fabric I had got. 

Thoughts

    The box of fabric increased my stash size. It will decrease a lot over time as most will be sewn up this year and the left over pieces go to my friend. She is as excited over the fabric as I am. I have decided to only add the Christmas fabric to the stash spreadsheet and add the other pieces as in/out when I sew them up and ship the finished projects to daughter. 

    I am happy the cardinal quilt is almost completed. I am glad I stuck with doing it the way the instructor said. It helped me get better at learning this quilt as you go method. I see improvement in many parts of the quilt. On the back, the vertical seams match as I got more experienced. Though I am still struggling with stitch in the ditch, I am getting better at it. Slow is the key thing. Stitching down short vertical seams helps keep the long horizontal seams from distorting the squares. I am tired of working on it and am focusing on it daily so I can get it finished. I have been working on sewing this quilt together for almost 2 months. This does not include the hours spent embroidering the 12 center squares and sewing the 24 blocks together. 

    With March coming to a close, I will be happy to see spring arrive. I am itching to get outside a bit each day to do things. I am hoping that I will have less physio and osteopathy appointments which means I can do more outside jobs. I have been looking forward to this for a long time. 

Today

I am out with daughter-in-law today. Not sure where we are going but I am looking forward to going where ever it is we are going to. If there is time when we get home, I would like to start hand sewing down the back seam on the quilt. Tonight I would like to cast on the second sock. 

Until the next time...........................................................

1 comment:

  1. Carol in Denver1:37 PM

    I love flying geese blocks and look forward to seeing your work with them. After struggling with hand-joining each tiny piece I discovered there are so many better ways to make them. The "new ways" have benefits of no waste and/or increased accuracy.

    ReplyDelete