Saturday, April 01, 2023

Row 1 Ready to Quilt

 Yesterday was cold due to the wind. The sun shone and it got to 5.4C. But the wind was cold. This morning, it is -1C and snowing. It is suppose to get to 8C which will make the snow turn to rain. 

Lifestyle

I was out mid morning to let the cleaners in to do son's house. I do this for them but this is the first time I had to wait 1.5 hours for them to arrive. I sat and sat, walked about the house and waited some more. It was a bit annoying but the cleaners are like this. 

I got home about 12:20 and went for a short walk with my friend. She was leaving so was taking her dog for a walk. I did enjoy the short walk and nothing was too sore or too tired when I got home. 

I gained weight and have retained fluid. My hands are stiff and sore from it. I will have to drink a lot of water today. I have a feeling the seafood chowder was loaded with salt (it tasted delicious) and I'm paying for it today.

Sewing

I spent the afternoon in the sewing room. I got row 1 sewn together ready for more quilting. I fought with the points and learned a lesson -- never make a block with points when you are learning a new technique. 

I followed the directions on how to do the back properly and I am pleased with how nice it looks. It isn't perfect as I am on a learning curve. I did hand sew the seams together as I like the look of it. I have decided to leave the dark fabric plain and quilt straight lines on the light fabric. That way, I will stitch over the hand sewn seams to make them extra secure. 

I am actively designing the next quilt and want to join the squares using a different method. I have decided to make the next one without points. I am looking forward to the making it as much as I am enjoying this one. Before I can start on it, I have to finish a wall hanging that has languished in the UFO pile for almost 13 years. 

Knitting

I finished the second blue hat and am happy with it. It is for daughter so she and her friend will have matching hats next winter. 

I started a sweater for the dolls. I had some yarn that I had put away for a sweater and leggings and fabric for a jacket. I have decided to work on the sweater first and go from there. I chose to knit this pattern. I bought it years ago and it is called Astra. I got it off Ravelry. 

I did the first sleeve and, as usual I had to go up a needle size to get the tension correct. I also had to knit extra rows to the underarm cast off as the designer did not figure out the number of rows to knit correctly. Not unusual for designers hence why they say to knit until a certain length.

The colour is off. You knit 19 rows in another colour which you fold under to show just 1 row of stitching. There are purl stitches knit strategically to make a star just above the cuff which is really cute and hard to photograph. 

I have, over the years, knit 11 of the 13 patterns I got from this designer (Deb Denair) and I disliked only 1 pattern. I want to knit the last 2 patterns and then decide if I will knit one or two of them again or purchase one or two new ones. 

Today

I have to do housework this morning, launder gift bag fabric, and sew on the quilt this afternoon. I would love to walk a short distance around noon but that depends on how much snow is on the streets. Tonight I will knit on the second sleeve. 

Until the next time.........................................................


No comments:

Post a Comment