Monday, April 17, 2023

Cricut Sunday

 Yesterday was cloudy with a bit of sunshine. The high got to 14.1C. This morning it is foggy and 8C. We are to have sunshine and a high of 20C today. 

Lifestyle

I did the balance sheet and spent some time thinking about upcoming expenses and how much I can spend. Life is not bad but I am not going crazy as I can spread what I want/need over months. 

I walked once yesterday which was further than before. I did 1.2 km which was great. I was going to walk in the afternoon but was tired and when I did my glucose reading it was 3.8. I'm glad I didn't walk and snuck a few extra carbs into my dinner. I'm at 5.2 this morning which means I will have to be careful today. I could have a low day like I did after the last time I had a 3.8 reading at dinner.

I lost 2.4 lbs this week and it's from walking and eating carefully. I am 4.4 lbs from where I was when I had to stop taking care of myself and put all my energy into caring for the Spousal Unit. I see the doctor in 9.5 weeks and hope to be at or below that weight. I also hope that my blood work is good. 

Sewing

It was Cricut time yesterday and I played with fabric. I decided to make the Plain Jane doll shoes. I used a fat quarter that I didn't like but got for free for the trial pairs. The first cut didn't work at all. I recut and all was well.


When I took the pieces off the pink mat, I had to clean it with the scraper and baby wipes. There were a few little marks on it from the cutting blade. I tried again and had to cut twice. The pieces fit the pattern almost to perfection and didn't stretch when I took them off the mat. 

Next up, I played with the cutting arrangement and cut out the pair from the left over skirt fabric. I managed to get the shoes cut out of 2 pieces of fabric 4.5" high by 12" long.

Waste was minimal - no more than I would have made cutting them out myself. 

I spent a lot of time making the shoes. I sewed carefully, trimmed the seams and then made clips to fold underneath the soles. I marked a line down the center of the chipboard insole to help me place the uppers more accurately. I was pleased with the end end results. 

I have to give the toes a bit of heat to remove the pen mark. I held them carefully so they set well and added the black foam soles. 

I will be putting them on the doll today.

What will I do differently?

    I will do a trick I accidentally found on the internet-- I will adhere the fabric to transfer tape and attach the transfer tape to the cutting mat. This is suppose to protect and keep your cutting mat clean and free from marks.

    The insole fabric is a bit short and I will enlarge it and cut off the excess after I glue them onto the chipboard. You don't see it but I know it is there. 

    Make sure I have about 2 hours to sew and put the shoes together. The more professional they are to look, the longer it takes to make them. I'd even think of starching the fabric before cutting it out. 

I will definitely use the Cricut to cut out more shoes. They cut the pieces out accurately which makes sewing them nicer. 

Knitting

I knit on daughter's vest last night and have 20 rows and the back will be compete. It hasn't taken that long to knit. 

Thoughts

    I don't know why I am having low glucose reading once a week at dinner. I know I have it because I feel tired. I eat the right number of points (WW) and have been monitoring my carbs. I will continue to check my glucose 3 times a day until I see someone about this. I don't walk when I feel tired as I'm scared of it dropping too low. 

    The seller of the liquid starch contacted me and will do a label for me to ship it. He has offered a discount of $6.00 on the order. I can't cancel it as he suggested so I have contacted him again. We will resolve this as he wants my business. 

Today

I need to do a bit of housework, get some groceries, walk at least once, and then work on daughter's embroidery. If I get it to the stitch out stage, I will take apart more napkins for my quilt. I hope to knit tonight and get the back done. 

Until the next time...................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment