Saturday, January 21, 2023

Snow, Shovelling, Sewing

 Yesterday was our first snow storm. It started to snow mid morning and it snowed all day and into the evening. We got about 11 cm of snow which is over 4". The high got to -0.7 but the wind made it feel colder. This morning it is -1C and we could have snow flurries during the day. We are under another weather warning as it is going to rain on Monday. 

Lifestyle

I started the morning out sorting cookbooks. I have 5 or 6 to go to our friends. All are on smoking meat. I did copy a few recipes that I like; mainly seasonings I've used in the past. 

Once that was done, I spent most of the morning climbing up and down the little ladder cleaning the top cupboards. I sorted, moved, cleaned, and rearranged some items. A couple of items left and a couple may leave in a month or so. If I don't use them, they are taking up valuable space. 

I was really sore when I got done and rested while I ate lunch. After lunch, I started shovelling snow off the front step and small sidewalk as our friend was going to snow blow the driveway. I did the back deck so I can get out of the house in case of an emergency. When I came back in, there was a man and the little boy across the street shovelling my driveway. The little boy suggested they do it as it was easy to shovel. By the time we finished talking my friend's sons were over helping. It was done in no time flat. What great people to have around me. Mid afternoon daughter-in-law texted to ask if I needed the driveway shovelled. I told her the story. So happy she is in my life also. 

The county was out 3 times to plow the roads. They brought out the big loader with a blade on it. I am sure they were out to salt the roads as they are bare and wet. The roads are kept in good condition during winter storms. 

Sewing

I spent time sewing after I had a short rest. I cut out the Juliette hat and started to sew it. It was a lot of work. The easy part was laying the lace on the top. The rest required accuracy and careful sewing. The interfacing was hard to sew as you are to butt the edges of the darts together and zigzag closed. I struggled with that as they wanted to over lap. In the end I had to trim the interfacing so it would fit in the cap. 

I cut out and added 3 bunches of flowers to the back to cover the darts. In 1978, there would have been large flowers on the back but I'm using what I have on hand.

I was a bit worried about how it would fit the doll but it fits fine. 

I can now finish the hat with hand stitching the opening together and doing the back flowers. It and the dress can go into the basket for the little girl I sew for. I will not be making this outfit ever again. I enjoyed it but it is a one time sew. It is now off my to-do list. 

Knitting

I went to pick up the stitches for the gusset and realized I had done 5 extra rows on the heel flap. I ripped it back and started the heel flap again. I now have the heel flap knit, turned the heel, and picked up the gusset stitches. I also have 4 rounds knit on the gusset. 

Today

It is rest day for me as I am aching. The only job I have is to shovel the back deck again. I'll check the driveway to see if I should shovel it. I am going to launder a piece of fabric to make piping for daughter, and finish the Juliette hat. I will knit tonight. Another stay at home day. I don't need anything. 

Until the next time......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment