Sunday, January 15, 2023

Reminders to Myself

Yesterday was a wet and gloomy day. The temperature dropped all day and by evening it was -2C. 31.6 mm of rain fell giving us 2" in 2 days. This morning it is 2C, we've had some freezing rain and more is expected during the day. It is going to warm up and rain some more. 

Lifestyle

I stood at the living room window several times yesterday morning watching it rain heavily. The ditch had water running in it (maybe 15+" deep) and you could see the water coming out of the drainage pipes that run between people's property. It was a bit scary as it was raining very hard. It did ease off and then just rained. 

I did a few things yesterday but not a lot. A load of laundry was done, the two couch sections switched, and the kitchen tidied up. I did more resting than working as I was tired from lack of sleep. I did not nap as I wanted to sleep well last night, which I didn't. 

My knee and hip are feeling okay and I'm walking much better. It feels great not having a lot of pain though it returns when we are going to have a storm. I'll keep moving forward and hope it gets stronger. 

Sewing

It was a day of rest in the decluttering challenge. I knew I was doing nothing but then again, I am ahead of the game. Starting early has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantage is that you can look at the day's challenge and redo it or leave it. The disadvantage is you can ignore the challenge and then have to hurry up and do it at a later date or forget about it. I have done both. 

As I was watching yesterday's declutter challenge, I noticed another person's YouTube channel and decided to look at it. She was sewing in a 10 x 12' bedroom in which she also had her office and photography areas. I was amazed at how little she had and that she was basically a project by project sewer. I was admiring her choices knowing that is what I would do if I ever had to downsize. A lot to be learned from her and her choices. 

When I got to the last video I watched, she was doing last year's declutter challenge. I watched a bit and had to quit. I was stressing out and could feel my body tensing up. It had nothing to do with her, it was me reacting to her sewing room. She had moved it from the bedroom to the living and dining area of her house. She was excited and happy to have a large bright space to sew in. For me, it was looking at her having everything basically on show as you walk inside the front door. I was focusing on that rather than what she had to say. 

I realized very quickly that I am not a person who likes to have my sewing room "exposed" to the world. I like my sewing to be contained to its own area; aka the sewing room. It is me and I stressed out when I saw it in an open space. But, this person was happy to have it in a larger and brighter space. What I realized is that we all have different ideas about where our sewing space will be. I need to realize what others do is out of my control and to only look at what the content is about. I'm learning how to do that. And I spent a good hour or more telling myself that during the night. We all make our own choices and I need to respect the choices others make even if they make me feel uncomfortable.

On a positive note, this person loves Ikea and finds the most interesting items to buy to use in her sewing space. I have several ideas that I will look at when I go to Ikea. I may or may not buy them for the sewing room but I want to look at them. She is great at looking at outside the box. I admire her greatly for that. 

Knitting

I did a lot of knitting yesterday as I rested. The sock grew before my eyes. 

I really love how the padding on the heel looks and I've extended it to the foot while doing the gusset. 

I have the gusset done and am working on the foot now. I am not going to be short on yarn but am still going to do the toe in the purple. 

Today

I am going to do some cleaning upstairs and then wash the sewing room floor. I hope to do some sewing after lunch and more knitting tonight. I'm staying home today. 

Until the next time.........................................................

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:04 PM

    Love the colors of the sock. Such a happy combination.

    ReplyDelete