Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Starting My Only Kit

 Yesterday was foggy but much warmer. The high got to 4C and only 1.5mm of rain fell. This morning it is 2C and we could have flurries this evening. At the moment, the sun is shining and we have some blue sky.

Lifestyle

The cleaning of the kitchen continued yesterday. I got the bank of 4 small drawers cleaned out and totally organized. A bunch of tea towels that are about 25 years old were tossed and 8 new ones laundered. Ancient pot holders were also tossed. One item was put into the donation box, and two were tossed as they were rusty. The bottom drawer was empty so I moved the tin foil, cling wrap, etc into that drawer. The little cupboard is almost empty. I have a tiny food processor, flan pan, and a small casserole dish in it. Not sure what else I will put in that cupboard but I'm not stressing over it. 

The final big job of the day in the kitchen was the 2nd Lazy Susan. All of the containers for left overs were removed and lids put on them. They went into the bottom large drawer that use to hold pots and pans. I need a few more which is on my need list. I kept about 9 plastic containers that Chinese food comes in and tossed the rest. I use these on occasion now though I use to use them all for freezing blueberries and strawberries. The cake pans and pie plates were kept. The whole area got cleaned. Onto the bottom shelf I put the cake pans, pie plates and the plastic containers. On the top shelf, I put some spices into a tub. On my want list is storage bins for them. They form a circle around the pole and I will store spices, soya sauce, etc. in there. That has opened up a space in the baking cupboard and another space in the pantry. Hurrah. The last small job was to put the pyrex baking dishes into the middle large drawer that held frying pans and pots that are leaving the house. 

I am finding the bottom cupboards in my kitchen feel much better organized, my inventory has decreased, and what is left is what I will use on a regular basis. I have my want list going and will pick up a few items when I shop. My next area to clean is one cupboard that has my one big pot in it, a drawer with baking utensils in it, and the pull out that holds cookie sheets, etc. Then it will be onto the top cupboards. 

I was out mid afternoon to help daughter-in-law and they are going to take the boxes of matches. Those will be delivered either today or tomorrow evening. 

Sewing

I was able to get into the sewing room yesterday afternoon. I am in the process of working on the only kit I own. This is the year to make it. My wonderful neighbour is going to help me and I have a goal set before she leaves for Florida in February. 

When I bought this kit, I bit off more than I could chew. I had no idea of what to do hence why it languished on the shelf for so many years. I started off last year tracing one page of the pieces which I've since trashed. Yesterday I traced off the 2 eyes and the nose of the horse. I am keeping track of what I am doing as I trace. 

I will now get help to press the pieces on to the fabric, cut them out and then layer them. I have everything I need and am ready to do this step. I am working on manageable chunks as my neighbour told me to do. 

Yesterday declutter challenge was fabric scraps and to be honest, I don't keep a lot of scraps for scrappy projects. I do keep pieces I know I can use for larger projects. When I make placemats, I will cut out pot holders and sew them up immediately. I am fine with tossing the small bits and pieces that are left over. 

Today's declutter job is batting scraps. I keep them and one thing I am learning is that I will only buy one type of batting for placemats, table runners, etc. I have several different types and it is hard to keep them sorted and organized. What I am not sure about is used in bags, cushion covers, etc. If it is thin, it goes into mug rugs, pot holders, place mats, etc. If I am still struggling with this, I will get rid of the scraps and start again with only one type of batting. 

I also keep insulbrite, and some batting for bowl cozies. I try to keep them separate from the rest of the batting. I have two craft size packages of batting and 2 packages of foam type batting that will be used this year. One package of foam batting is actually to be used this month. 

Knitting

The second sock got cast on and I'm ready to start the heel flap. It went really fast. I've got my sock rhythm back. I took this picture to show daughter and knit another 22 rows before I stopped for the night. It helps that the yarn and needles are bigger and the knitting goes faster. 

Thoughts

    Since starting to declutter the whole house, I am feeling better mentally. I realize that having kept so much in the past couple of years has been hard on me. Letting go is helping me heal. What I am keeping is right for me. How I am doing it is right for me. I am learning more about myself as I go through cleaning out the house. I love being more minimalist, need to work on having broader categories (not micro-managing) and that things need to be contained. I realized a while ago that I know my stress threshold and need to work on capacity. The Less is More concept works well for me. 

    I am worrying about how to deal with papers. It is something I am working on mentally. I know it is going to take some time to organize and set up. The big thing is I don't want clutter on the table. I'm tired of it. It doesn't go away as I am not in tune with my system. 

    I am now looking at storage containers. I want some clear ones and some solid ones (all in one colour). I am going to store items in them and put on big labels. I am still working on this idea but it will come to fruition as time goes on. I do know what I want I can buy at Staples or on Amazon for labels and the tubs I'll look for at other stores.

     Once the kitchen is done, I may divide my time between upstairs and the maintenance room in the basement. My plans for that room are coming to the forefront of my thoughts. It is an area that I put a lot of stuff into in the past year and a half and I need to sort, organize, and let go of a lot of it. This is one area I want to have the tubs in on a shelving unit. 

Today

I need to go get a few groceries once I do some work in the kitchen. I want to work on the wall hanging if my neighbour is available. If not, I have a small project to work on. I need a new bag to microwave potatoes in. Tonight the TV stand will be put together and the TV set up. 

Until the next time......................................................

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That wall hanging project is wonderful, don’t know that I would even attempt it. Your decluttering process makes me want to do the same in my house.

    ReplyDelete