Friday, January 27, 2023

Like Dealing With An Octopus

Yesterday was a very wet day. It rained heavily for around 8 hours and the wind blew. With the high of 12.4C, the snow melted. They say we had 1.25" of rain fall which I think is not enough for our area. Around 3 pm, the sky brightened, the rain slowed down and by 8:30 pm, the moon was shining. This morning it is -1C, the wind is still blowing some and the high is suppose to be -3C with some flurries. We broke the high temperature for yesterday. 

Lifestyle

I was very stressed out yesterday with all the rain falling and the snow melting. I looked out and saw the shed two yards down was sitting in about 6" of water.

The water was running in to the yard next door and was coming out between us and going down into the drainage pipe and into the ditch. The house behind me has the rain and snow run down towards my house. I made 2 trips to the basement to see if we had water seeping in. Nothing. I was very relieved when the rain eased off and then stopped. By dusk, there was no snow to be seen anywhere. The ditch ran like a swollen stream all day. It goes through a big culvert pipe next to my driveway and heads down towards the road going into Windsor. I'm sure the water was up to the road in that area yesterday. 

I spent the morning finishing cleaning the kitchen. I polished the stainless steel, pulled out the stove and cleaned around and behind it. I swept the floors and tidied up some more. My final job was to wash the floors. I gave them a good scrubbing. It is good to have the kitchen cleaned up in a way that I like. It took longer than expected as I was checking to make sure the house was okay. 

The items for the thrift shop were put into a larger box which I can add more to it. The smaller box is ready to be filled again. 

Sewing

I traced 2 pieces of the horse and did all the steps to put them on. I then traced 16 more pieces and got 3 onto the horse. The last piece I cut out after fusing it onto the fabric was like dealing with an octopus. It took me quite a while to figure out how to put it on correctly. It is the top brown piece and it added more personality to him. When in the correct position, I added the already completed eyes. 

The remaining 13 pieces goes on the large brown piece at the top of the head. Once done, it needs to be fused together, the silicone mats moved and then finished up. 

I was exhausted when done. It wasn't from my back or leg hurting, it was mental exhaustion. I am focusing so hard on this project I am using up all my brain power. It is good that I am exercising my brain with something new but the exhaustion is something I didn't expect. 

Knitting

I forced myself to pick up my knitting last night. I am ready to try the sweater on Lily to see if the sleeve is the right length. I did knit 6 extra rows. If long enough, I can knit the 4 rows of garter stitch and cast off and start on the other sleeve. 

Thoughts

    I was happy that there was no water in the basement from the storm we had. We had the power off for about 20 seconds due to the wind and rain. I read that 20 000 customers were without power due to the rain. We've had a lot of rain this month. 

    I am picking up speed at wanting to finish the horse's head. I am enjoying the process but am over focusing on it as it has taken over the cutting table. I can't do anything else as I've have fabric, paper, and the horse laid out over entire top. 

Today

My morning job is to clean the dining room, purge the cabinet so I can put some paper work into it. I want it all of the papers off the table. In the afternoon, I want to put the 13 pieces onto the horse and tonight I would like to knit. I have no need to go anywhere today.

Until the next time..................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment