Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Sewing Stash Tidied

 Yesterday was a day of it wanting to snow but it just couldn't quite do it. The high got to 2.8C This morning it is 0C and we could have sunshine and rain showers. The high is to get to 4C. 

Lifestyle

We were out the door at 7:20 a.m. to take grandson to play soccer. It was fun to watch the two teams scrimmage against each other learning techniques as they played. They pass the ball around to each other and that was interesting to watch. Better than watching players do what I call kick and run. In the end, grandson's team won by 1 point but in reality all the players learned a lot. 

After the game we went to a hamburger place that serves the best hamburgers ever. I had a small hamburger and a few fries. I was full and throughly enjoyed it. I so appreciated family including me in their day. 

Sewing

Day 2 of the Decluttering Challenge is to remove items that don't belong in your sewing room or items that you no longer need or are taking up space. I had removed items I did not want earlier and didn't allow any new ones to enter the room. All the items I have displayed in the room remain. They have a home and are truly loved. 

Elliott decided to join me while I cleaned the main fabric stash. I arranged the garment fabrics so they looked neater on the two shelves I have them on. When I did the cottons, I took them all off the shelves and folded them neatly. It was the area that was messy. When I got them back onto the shelf I was happy because:

    The one shelf is not full nor is it two stuffed full shelves like it was 3.5 years ago. 

    The Christmas fabrics are two stacks rather than stuffed onto half a shelf. 

    Orphans are starting to show up but I can still sew them with a few purchases. Not all will be lost. There are a few pieces I can use for testing embroidery designs. 

The bottom shelf has the UFOs that I never touched last year. The cardinal wall hanging is to be done this year. I will take the quilt to the quilt shop to be quilted by the owner and the other two may get trashed. 

The remaining part of the bottom shelf is dedicated to batting which is one pile that I can use up. The remaining part of the shelf has interfacing which I will use up before I buy more. 

A good run of sewing could see a lot of the cottons sewn this year. But I have the doll's stash to sew also so I'm hoping 50% will be sewn. 

Once done organizing the stash, I finished the 2nd pillow. It took a very short time to do - sew around the outside edges, turn and put the pillow form into it. 

As I still had time, I cut out two doll blankets from the remaining fabric. I worked on the first one by turning under 1/4" and pressing it in place. Then I turned under 1" and pressed it. Once that was done, I got two corners mitred. 

When the other two corners are done, I'll stitch the hem down and a doll blanket will be done. They are for the little girl I sew for. 

Knitting

I cast on the beret to go with the sweater and have it almost done. I need to bring up more yarn to finish it. I'm still deciding if I will knit the sweater/coat again. 

Today

I am fasting as I have to have blood works done this morning. Once done, I will work in the sewing room doing the ironing station. I have to sweep the floor and I may even get half the room washed. Sewing today is finishing up the two blankets so I can start on the flannel for 2 more pillows and, hopefully 2 more blankets. Knitting tonight. 

Until the next time........................................................

1 comment: