Sunday, January 29, 2023

A Half Day of Rest

 Yesterday was mainly sunny with a high of 4C. There were high clouds in the afternoon but it was still bright outside. This morning it is -1C. We are to have a high of 4C, a mix of sun and cloud with periods of rain tonight along with warm temperatures. Trivial information: on Thursday we not only broke the record for high temperature but we also broke the record for most precipitation. It wasn't surprising. 

Lifestyle

I was exhausted yesterday and was on the verge of tears twice in the morning. Nothing was going right for me. I was quickly becoming a basket case full of emotions. 

At noon, I hauled two boxes of donations and the bag of patterns into the car and after lunch I went to New Minas. When I touched one box, I removed a clamp-on lamp that the Spousal Unit used when doing puzzles. I clamped it onto the design table in the sewing room for better light in that area. 

I stopped at the thrift shop and was greeted at the unloading dock with a coupon for 20% off in the store (for daughter-in-law). The lady put the two boxes and I put the bag of patterns into the bin and I left feeling happier. The stuff is gone and it made me feel lighter. Now to find 2 more boxes I can handle to fill. I have two large packing boxes to deal with in the next few weeks.

I also stopped at a shop that sells frozen foods. I got onion soup that I love, baked potatoes, and a chicken pie. I am set for treats for a while. I also need to start thinking about cooking more freezer meals. That shop reminds me of doing that.

I was home just before 3 pm feeling much better mentally. It was nice to get out and about for a couple of hours. I need to do this more often. 

Sewing

I traced the 5 pieces I needed to finish the left side of the horse. I fused them, cut them out, lost them, and was on the verge of tears twice. I finally corralled them all and when I went to put them on, my neighbour arrived with me staring at the horse wondering why I had started it. 

She quickly got me back on track and we got all the pieces put on, hand pressed down and then got it over to the ironing board and pressed in place. It took both of us 45 minutes to get that job done. But, it is done and I knew it was a day to ignore the horse including taking a picture of it. 

When done, we looked at my fabric and chose the backing. A piece of black and gold batik that I've owned for 15+ years. It was the perfect choice as the quilting threads will blend into it. 

While shopping, I stopped and got .5 meter of fabric at the new quilt shop. When I walked in, there were more units of fabric, a unit or two of notions, and more patterns. It is so bright and cheerful in the shop. The classroom is set up (it's huge) as is the long arm quilting room. I want to snoop shop a bit later on. I didn't have time yesterday and my mood was such I would have bought fabric I didn't need. 

My last stop was to the other quilt shop. I walked into it and it is neat and tidy but darker. I still like it. The fabric I wanted wasn't there. The owner has decided not to carry it even though it is popular. She wants to bring in a new line of fabric that people can use for projects as this one has been in the shop for a long time. She has limited space and has to make choices on what to carry and what to change. 

I now have to decide if I will break down and order this fabric online or if I go with something different. It is the mixer cover fabric and I want it light grey to blend into the kitchen when I have it done. I want the other accessories to be the colourful parts. I may grab my neighbour and head into the city to a fabric shop to see if they have something similar in their huge stock. That will be after I check in the new quilt shop in a couple of weeks. I certainly won't be starting anything new until the horse is done.

I got the brayer for the Cricut. I still need to find the stylus pen (it was there hiding in plain sight) and then get some card stock to make some tags for daughter. Slowly but surely I am getting the supplies I need. Next is to organize them.  

Knitting

I didn't knit last night. I let my brain rest from all projects including knitting. 

Thoughts

    I realized that I have been driving myself back into a funk again. Focusing on the horse and staying home has not been good mentally for this person. I need to do a few things outside the house even if I plan on going somewhere once a week. And it just can't be grocery shopping.

    Not finding the fabric I wanted and then realizing I can't buy that line in the store anymore made me think how I have become stuck in my fabric choices. Buying a new piece from a different line and store for the winter placemats was good for me. Finding a piece of fabric in the stash for the backing of horse was very different than what I had pictured in my head was also good. I need to venture outside of my comfort zone in fabric choices.

    I have found that I am sore once again. I am doing some more exercises. It may be from standing for long periods of time at the cutting table. I need to do more stretching and walking.  On the upside, I am stronger than I was. I got those bigger boxes out of the house and into the car. 

    I am thinking about the dining area a lot. The server is cleaned and ready to become the command centre for holding bills, and important papers. I need to get the supplies for it put together. The long term papers that I have to keep will be stored in the spare room closet. I still need to figure out a few things but I am on the road to having this space done. 

Today

I am going to continue working in the dining area this morning. I need to do the balance sheet first thing, empty garbage, and then sweep and wash the floor area. If I want to, I will trace some larger pieces of the horse head but not fuse them onto the fabric. I am hoping to knit tonight. Today is another rest day for me. 

Until the next time........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment