Sunday, January 21, 2024

We Drove In Freezing Rain

 Yesterday's weather was not the nicest. It was cloudy but not too windy. The high got to -3C. Late afternoon we had frozen rain fall and then snow fell during the night. This morning it is -3 and snowing lightly. Today we are to have flurries with a high of -1C. 

Lifestyle

My first job of the day was to do yoga. I did it slowly and just to the point of a good stretch. I am working on keeping the massaged muscles relaxed and stretched out. It is helping at lot. 

I cleaned up the living room area as I was not happy with my little mess on the couch. I have my knitting on it and it looks messy. I spent time sorting and cleaning my knitting bag and put the sock project and the yarn for the next project in it. 

It is much tidier on the couch now. I did tidy up the blankets on the furniture. Once that was done, I swept the floors and stairs. All that is left to do is the bedrooms. 

I went into the city with daughter-in-law. We were out to pick up grandson's soccer cleats he had left at practice last week. Once we did that, we went over the bridge to get some food items and tea. We headed home after that. We noticed traffic into the city was heavy and wondered if there was a hockey game. We talked about the fact we should have been driving in flurries but how it was nice not having to deal with that. About 10 - 15 miles from home, the windshield iced up and we had driven into freezing rain. Two cars were in the ditch and 2 or 3 more went in behind us. Daughter-in-law slowed down, slid a bit but kept control. We drove slowly home with hazard lights flashing like others did on the road. We did see a truck out salting which was great. 

When we drove into my place, the driveway had a coating of ice on it. We walked into the house carefully and daughter-in-law salted the front steps and small walk area. We looked at her car and it was coated with ice. I went inside and she went home. It was hunker down time. Our roads were salted in the evening. It started to snow about 9 pm and snowed lightly all night. 

Sewing/Crafting

I cut the small black squares for the never-ending book and temporarily tacked them on the first page. It looks much better and I can still fold the pages easily. 

I worked on the quilt and got row 3 sewn on, the batting trimmed and the fusible tape put on. I was hand sewing the seam down when I was asked to go into the city. I have about half of the seam done. 

Knitting

I did knit last night and got quite a few rounds one the foot of sock #2. I will keep working on it and know it will be done in a few days. 

Thoughts

    The freezing rain was not expected yesterday and the warning was put out after it started. I am grateful that daughter-in-law is a great and careful driver. I am also grateful we did not go into the ditch like others did. 

    I will have to figure out how to clear off my driveway today as I have to go out for physio tomorrow. The salt on the front landing did not melt the ice which is unusual. I may have to do a heavy coating of salt on the driveway after I scrape the snow off it. A tricky job with ice underneath the snow. 

    I am noticing that I am getting more strength, endurance, and flexibility. Yesterday we shopped in a wholesale store and I packed my fair share of the groceries as we did not have a cart. It makes me happy that I can do more than I use to. 

    Elliott entertained himself this morning. He snuck an old mask off the table and carried it around in his mouth. He tried to make the elastic ear pieces stretch so it would fly in the air. He swatted it and chased it all over the dining and living room areas. I have put the mask on the couch for him to discover and play with later on. 

Today

Today I have to do the balance sheet and yoga. I need to figure out how to clean the driveway safely and get it salted. I want to finish hand sewing the quilt backing down and start quilting it if I have time. I will knit tonight. It is a stay at home kind of day. 

Until the next time...........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment