Friday, January 05, 2024

An Excellent Doctor's Visit

 Yesterday was a day of snow flurries and a bit of rain. It was dull and grey with a high of 1.5C. This morning it is clear and -7C. We are to have a mix of sun, clouds, and flurries with a high of -5C. We were under a snow warning for Sunday night and Monday but that has disappeared. 

Lifestyle

I puttered around until it was time to see the doctor. He was running late late which was funny at 9:30 a.m. He was pleased with my blood work results with my A1C being 5.5 and my kidney function improving by 4%. He put in my blood pressure (normal) and my weight. That is when he got excited as my medical problems are improving due to the weight loss. I am allowed to loose 5 lbs more and need to continue on the programs I am on. 

We talked about a referral to the surgeon for my knee and hip but I don't qualify. I now know what it takes to qualify. At this time, the plan is to keep working with physio, osteopathy, yoga, some walking, and diet. The doctor seems to think we can keep me from not having surgery for quite a while if I continue on with my program. 

Once home, I completed the balance sheet for 2023. What I thought and what happened in December blew me away. I didn't have to touch savings. I am thrilled. 2024 is set up and I will start on Sunday. 

I had a nap after lunch due to sleeping poorly for a couple of nights. It wasn't a long nap but it did refresh me. Late in the afternoon, I went over to see my neighbour to let her know how I am doing. We took the dog for a short walk and I was able to walk with a good gait and no sticks. I did my glucose at dinner and it was 4.2. A bit scary to think I was doing things with low glucose levels. I ate a good dinner to help bring it back up. 

Sewing

I watched the video on how to do the back of the quilt and went down before seeing the doctor to fix the part I missed. Row 1 is done and I can now do row 2 and 3. Then I will get them ready to hand sew the backing down. At least I know what to do when I start on my quilt. Thank goodness for Elliott's quilt to practice on. 

I didn't sew in the afternoon but decided to work on the Charlie Brown Christmas book. I redid the comic strip booklet and I am pleased with this version. I used liquid glue this time and put the book under weight while I worked on other parts. It kept it flatter. 

Instead of taping the front and back together with washi tape, I cut the front 1/2" longer and folded that under and glued the back to the flap. You can't see where I joined them. I repeated the process for the inside strip. The inside strip is down on each end of the booklet and folds up when closed. 

This booklet is smaller so it will fit into the main book. I am looking to see what I can put it into. I may use a glassine bag and decorate it with snowflake stickers. 

I was going to do reindeer candy holders but didn't have the supplies like I thought I did. At least I know what to buy for them as I have paper pieces attached to my shopping list. 

Last night, I counted cross stitched on the snowman and finished him. 

I am doing the white back stitch around him so I can fray the fabric. He was a labour of love and frustrated me to death. By the time I did the last row of light grey with the silver thread, I had figured out how to use it. Not perfect but it is done. 

I will interface him and put all three pieces onto card stock. Then I need to figure out how to put them into the book. I have a couple of ideas floating in my head for the snowman. 

Knitting

None done last night. I wanted to finish the snowman. 

Thoughts

    Financially I did well in 2023. Keeping the balance sheet, monitoring what I purchase, and using up what I have is key to living within my means. The biggest jump in costs is groceries which everyone is feeling. I am buying more on sale now which does help. Eating healthy is expensive. 

    I am pleased with my visit to the doctor. He is excited and the results I had made his day. He is happy that I am more mobile with less pain and is encouraging me to keep doing what I am doing. I am happy to do that as I feel so much better. 

    I am also realizing I am happy to be at home most days. I keep busy with housework, crafts, sewing, and knitting. I can visit with family and friends when I want to and can go shopping when I need to. I am not a social person and have always been able to entertain myself at home. 

Today

I need to go to New Minas to get some things so I can be home most of next week. I want to work on the quilt in the afternoon and knit tonight. 

Until the next time......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment