Tuesday, January 18, 2022

More Purging Done

 Yesterday was one of those days where the weather went from bad to bad. It started out cloudy and then we had snow. Big flakes of snow. The wind came up and it started to rain. It rained hard. During the night it all stopped and was very quiet. The high got to 7.1C, the wind gusts got to 66 km/hour,  3/4" of rain fell, and this morning it is 4C. The temperature is to drop to 1C. 

Small History Nova Scotia by Sara Spike

A girl named McLeod at Big Glen went to learn  the cause of some unusual excitement among the sheep and found that it was a wild cat. The animal flew at her and she hit it on the head with a stick which she fortunately had in her hand and killed it. Jan 18 1899.

Lifestyle

I was out to take grandson to school and get him yesterday. Both times I was out, the weather was pretty good. The roads were covered with snow/slush. It was after the morning drive that we decided to stay home and stay safe. We were going to Coldbrook for a drive and apples. Not yesterday.

I cleaned the fridge and freezer yesterday morning. The fridge was easy and 4 containers of expired food was tossed. Everything was washed well and the fridge looks empty. The freezer was emptied and some forgotten items were tossed. It was harder to scrub the freezer but I got it done. It is organized and I can find everything easily. The outside of the fridge was cleaned and polished. I also put a container of cleaner into the dishwasher and put it on sanitize to get it cleaned. 

I am finding keeping the kitchen clean easier as I have done the cleaning. With just the floor to sweep and scrub, I think I found my groove to keeping this room tidy and clean. It just needed me to focus on it rather than focusing on other useless things. 

There were 495 new cases of the virus reported yesterday. There are 73 people in the hospital with 13 in ICU. Also reported was 4 new deaths which was sad to read.  

Sewing

After cleaning the fridge, I scooted downstairs to make piping for daughter. It was experimental as I wasn't sure if the pattern would make good piping. 

It was a success and daughter loves it. 

There is 2.7 meters of it and it's bagged in the tub to ship to her. Success of getting a fat quarter made into piping. 

After lunch I went down to do work on the garment fabric. According to the decluttering schedule, it was for fabric scraps. I had a few that I cut into squares for leaders when sewing.  As I cut the squares I pondered on what is a scrap. Later, as I read the posts on scraps, I realized it is different for each person in the challenge. What some people keep as scraps, I'll make some leaders and toss the rest. Others call fat quarters and larger off cuts scraps. I use them for small projects. It is all in the eyes of the beholder.

The next step was to tackle the garment fabric. I put about 40% into the thrift shop boxes. It lifted a weight off my shoulders to see it go. I kept exactly what I wanted for when I start sewing for myself. 

The pile that is gone. Some of that fabric is 12-15 years old. Other pieces was bought when it went into the Bargain Center at 50% off. I do not and did not need it.

What is left is manageable. I can keep sewing away on what is there and buy what is needed to finish a few projects. I have pulled the black out curtain down to protect the fabrics from the sunlight.

At the end of the session, I cleaned the table I have my pressing tools on. Nothing disappeared from it but the dust on the floor underneath it and the ironing board was wiped up. 

In all it was a good day in the sewing room.

I am going to buy the Forget Me Knot bag pattern so I will have another gift bag pattern to use. It comes in 2 sizes and at $2.00 USD, I may buy this one and the mini one. 

Knitting

I dug out yarn and started the sweater again. I have one sleeve done and ready to start the 2nd one. Behind but I will get it done. 

Today

We plan on cleaning up the garage a bit this morning and then turn on the heat for 2 hours. I want to start cleaning the dining area beginning with the table. I'm not sure what I will be doing in the sewing room for decluttering but I would like to make another mug rug. I have 2 cut out ready to sew. I may sort knitting needles today as I need to bring them all downstairs and put them away properly. Tonight will be knitting.

Until the next time...................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment