Sunday, January 09, 2022

A Good Winter Storm

 On Friday, it started to snow about 8 am and it snowed most of the day. When not snowing, it was ice pellets. During the night a good Nor-Easter blew up and it was quite the storm- howling winds and snow. Yesterday we woke to clear weather, some wind and a lot of sunshine. The high on Friday was 0C and yesterday it was -5C. This morning it was -9C with the coldest being -13.6 during the night. Today it is to warm up to 4C and we are to get rain.

Small History Nova Scotia by Sara Spike

The thrashing man has returned to his home in Sackville after thrashing 5000 bushels of wheat this year. In his route around Cole Harbor, Cow Bay, South East Passage, he thrashed 1800 bushels. Jan 9, 1904. 

Lifestyle

While it snowed on Friday, I scrubbed the bathroom and folded all the laundry and put it away. It was nice to get that done. The Spousal Unit shoveled the driveway twice during the day and 5 kids did it once. 

The power went out about 10:30 p.m on Friday night and didn't come back on until around 1 pm yesterday. There seemed to be an issue in the area behind us as trucks were in and out of there for 3 hours trying to fix the problem.

I was out about 8:30 a.m. to start cleaning the driveway yesterday morning and our neighbor's boys and his mom came to help. We got the road end cleaned out and about 1/4 of the driveway done. Daughter in law, grandson, and the Spousal Unit finished the driveway in the afternoon. 

The snow was really packed in from the wind but not deep (blew into our neighbor's yard). 

The house was really cold so daughter-in-law picked us up and we went to their house around 10 a.m. and came home around 1:30 p.m. It was nice to get warm near their fire place. I couldn't drive us as the car was in the garage and the door opener is electric. 

A weather map of Nova Scotia daughter sent us. All a part of the Storm Chip joking we do.  We certainly  had a good laugh about it. 

The number of cases of the virus is up and down. 678 and one death of Friday and 1145 on Saturday. We are still staying close to home until this wave subsides and then we will have to figure out how to live with Covid after that.

Sewing

On Friday, I cut out the cropped hoodie and got part of it sewn. I took a break and went through the 4 tubs of doll fabric. I have it sorted out with some to go into the trash and some to go to a girl who is learning to sew. I have a bit to sort that I store in a couple of baskets on the stash shelf. I really need to start sewing more doll clothes even if I give them away. I need the fabric gone. 

Once I wash the floor in the closet, the bottom part is done. I need to look at the embroidery thread and put a piece of lace away into the lace tub. Everything is neat and tidy on the shelves and just needs to be used in projects. It will then be put everything away and clean up the garbage. 

Yesterday's declutter was hand and sewing needles. I am thinking of keeping a package of universal needles, one of jeans needles and giving the rest of them away. The rest of the needles I will keep as they are my go to needles now. I have a lot of hand sewing needles but I replace them frequently. I love to baste and hand sew. I love the easy thread needles for putting thread ends into the batting on quilted items.

Knitting

I worked on the socks and have started the gusset. 


Today

I want to start back cleaning the kitchen once again. The part I've done is still clean and the part that isn't has been kept tidy. I will try to spend at least an hour cleaning in the sewing room as I have quite the mess going as I purge and declutter. We are out for dinner tonight so I may or may not get any knitting done. 

Until the next time.....................................

No comments:

Post a Comment