Friday, September 27, 2019

Sewing Room Reality Check

Yesterday was slow to warm up but when it did, it got too 22C. The clouds left and the skies were clear. Last night it rained and this morning the temperature was 14C. Rain is in the forecast today. 

Lifestyle

I didn't feel like doing much yesterday and as the day progressed, I became more and more cranky. It was time out for me and I laid on the bed in the dark and quiet for a good half hour trying to figure things out. 
I slept poorly during the night trying to resolve things and I think I have it under control now. I'm not feeling sorry or being too harsh on myself. I'm being honest; brutally honest. A reality check.  

Sewing

The sewing room was not stepped into at all yesterday. It was the area that was making me cranky and miserable. I've been tying myself in knots in that room and have had several anxiety attacks. I had/have made it into a stress place after spending several weeks happily sewing in the room. There are a few reasons for this. 

Reason One - The Sewing Room

I love my sewing room. It is huge and set up comfortably. With a big room comes big dreams and I have my own big dreams on setting it up. But, I gotten sucked into other people's dreams of how big and what they want in their spaces. I read about how they organize their rooms to hold a lot of inventory. And the ideas put forth are worth a million dollars. A wealth of information. But are they me? 
I took a step back to ponder that question when I read about two or three ladies who sew in a corner of a room with minimal amount of sewing aids and stash. I've been moving slowly away from minimal to too much. 
Reflection brought forth
  • We all have dreams for our space and we need to follow our own dreams. I love other people's dreams but need to remind myself that they are not my dreams. I have to learn how to admire their dreams while keeping my dreams true.
  • I want to have a minimalistic room where I don't feel stressed or anxious when I walk into it. I have a very low stress threshold and the first place it shows up is in the sewing room. 
  • Keep clutter to a minimum. I love looking at empty spaces, well organized areas, and everything in its place. I'm the most creative in these kinds of places.
One of my goals is to get rid of the "too much". I need to work on that which is more than the reducing the fabric stash.

Reason Two - The Stash

I wonder if the stash is getting reduced, staying the same or growing in total yardage. I've bought more fabric than I should have. Some have been mindful acquisitions and others have been unnecessary. When I thought about this, I set up a no-buy September (2 weeks) and I've been 75-80% successful. I set up an accountability list to help me stay focused for the last 2 weeks of the month and it has been helpful. These are working and will remain in place.
But yesterday, I couldn't face the sewing room due to the stash. It seemed as if it was taunting me. Getting on my nerves. When looking at it, I felt anxious and panicky. I'm over my stress threshold big time with my stash, trims, etc.
Reflection brought forth 
  • I am not sewing enough large items using fabric from the stash. I'm buying more than is necessary. I'm also sewing too many small items - doll's dresses, and small bags. I want to sew up every square inch of the fabric. I have to let go of the bigger scraps. 
  • I have done a lot of repetitive sewing; all doll clothes or all bags or use up that fabric. While sewing for the fair, I did a variety of items and enjoyed it to the fullest. I was happy. From that experience, I learned to make sure I have a variety of items on the monthly accountability list. 
  • The items I plan on making need to use up the stash. I've harked on this a lot and I need to move forward to do it consistently. Put the fabrics to be used onto the accountability list. Whatever it takes to get the fabric used up. 
  • Keeping track of the stash. So far I've mainly tracked what I've sewn and not what I've purchased. Not a good idea for me. Starting now, I will be tracking what I buy and what I sew. Give myself a true picture of how much I am actually decreasing the stash. That will show up next year.

Reason Three - The Dolls

I love my dolls and have made a big decision about them. 

  • I will only have 6 dolls. One will eventually get a new wig. All will be models and I will just enjoy them. 
  • I will not be selling my doll clothes. If someone wishes to buy something I will set it up through PayPal or e-transfer. If my pile keeps growing, I will be forced to sell the items I've made so they don't use up the space set aside for the dolls. 
  • I'm cutting back on how much I am going to sew for the dolls. Right now I have two outfits planned to sew and knit over the next year. One will be sewn, one will be knit. 
  • I will continue to sew and knit as a tester. I'm hoping to sew and knit as much as possible with the stash. These outfits will be put with a doll to give away to a child in need.

Knitting


Knitting is not a reason I am stressed. I seem to be able to buy what I need to finish a project and then go back to the stash for the next project. I seem to have that under control at the moment. I decided to work my way through the worsted weight yarn to make hats and matching scarves. Easy knitting at night. 
I finished up the yarn on the hat and do need to buy one more skein. I know there will be enough of it to make a scarf for one of daughter's friend. 
I hope to get the yarn on Sunday and in the mean time I will test a mitten pattern for a friend. It is a doll size so won't take too long to knit up. 

Today

It is paper work day and I won't move from the dining room table until it is done. This evening we will take our prizes to the barrel racing so they are in the office when they start tomorrow morning. If I can, I am going to set up the doll's mittens. 
Until the next time............................

No comments:

Post a Comment