Sunday, February 14, 2016

Christmas Once A Month - February: Child's Apron

The second Christmas Once A Month craft is a child's apron.

Supplies:

1 yard/meter of fabric makes 2 aprons
1.5 yards/meters 3/8" or 9mm twill tape (white, cream or black) per apron
Apron Pattern https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzroyj7hEFR_TXhHOGpwMEg1M3M/view?usp=sharing
Large eyed blunt needle

Making the Pattern:

Print off apron pattern on 8.5 x 11" paper
I added 2 more pieces of 8.5 x 11" paper to the piece I drew and taped them together with paper tape (found in the pharmacy section with bandaids).
Measure down 23" on the fold side from the top of the apron and make a mark. Then measure across 10.25" from that mark for the bottom width of the apron by drawing a line.
From the side of the apron, line up the line to the bottom of the apron and draw the line.
You now have the apron pattern.

Layout of Fabric:

As I am using a stripe fabric, I spent time making sure the stripes lined up vertically and that the thick pink stripe was in the center. I was able to get 2 aprons out of a 45" width of fabric.
With an overall print or plain fabric, fold the selvage edge of the fabric to the center for each apron. Don't throw away the scraps as we will use the in another project.
Lay the fabric on the fold and pin down using either pins or weights.
And cut out the pattern
I used my original pattern saving the paper one for future reference.

Sewing the Apron:

Machine baste all the cut edges 1". If your machine doesn't have the marking for an inch, you can machine baste 1/2" from the cut edge. I used a darker thread so you can see where I machine basted. The top, bottom and sides I did 1/2" and the curved I did an inch.  
 
Fold down the top of the apron 1/2" and press. I made sure the stripes matched. Remove basting thread and fold over again. Pin in place.


Stitch close to edge using a slightly longer than normal stitch length (3.0 vs 2.5 on my machine). Back stitch at beginning and end.


Repeat on the side seams and then the hem.


Next is the curved arm part. I did it two ways and found the second method easier. Fold the cut edge to the machine basting and press.

I did pin it to hold the seam in place. Fold and press again.


And then stitch in place. You have made the casings for the twill tape.


Give the apron a good pressing. Using a large eye blunt needle, thread the twill tape onto it.
 Starting at one side seam, thread the twill tape into the curved casing.
Making sure the twill tape isn't twisted, thread it from the top through the second curved casing. 
No need to make sure it is the same length on each side at the moment.
Fold the apron in half so you can start making the tails of the twill tape the same length.
I did it so the neck loop was huge and then pulled the tails until I thought the neck loop was about the right size.
Knot the ends and you are done.  


I hope you have as much fun making this apron as I did.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial for the apron, I am going to make a few of these for my sister-in-law who loves to cook and does a lot of it. Heading out soon for brunch wit son and his wife. He travels a lot for work so I try and see him whenever he is available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed that this is a pattern for a child's apron. I will just enlarge it enough for an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the little apron. so cute!

    ReplyDelete