Saturday, May 27, 2023

The Vest Is Finished

 Yesterday was one miserable day weather wise. It was cloudy, windy, it tried to rain, and the high go to 10C. This morning, it is sunny and 9C. There is a lot of dew everywhere. It is suppose to remain sunny with a high of 21C. 

Lifestyle

Other than take grandson to school, I stayed home yesterday. The kitchen was cleaned and the floor was swept and washed. It felt good having that room clean and tidy. 

The next area I cleaned up was Elliott's litter box. While doing it, I twisted my back and it went into spasms. I got the job done, the bag of litter out, and did some stretching. I folded laundry while letting my back rest. It ached most of the day and is still sore this morning. I will take an Aleve before I leave to watch grandson's soccer game. 

The company that mows the lawn were here and they did a great job once again. They are behind due to the cold damp weather so I paid them and they were off to the next place in hopes it wasn't going to rain. 

Sewing

I spent the afternoon in the sewing room. I trimmed the rest of the 4th cardinal block and can start on the 5th. I then decided it was time to start on the cloche. 

I drew the 1/4" seam allowance on the circular crown which was needed. I didn't do the remaining pieces as the brim was starting to stretch out of shape and the straight piece was simple to do a 1/4" seam on. I did do a lot of basting so I wouldn't have to fight with pins and to get edges nice and sharp to press. It took me almost 3 hours to get the hat to hand sewing the inner brim. I still have 3 rows of hand basting in it.

The hat fits Kit well though it needs a good pressing so the side pieces are flat rather than sticking out some. 



It looks pretty drab right now as there is no bee fabric embellishment. I am certain that it will add a bit of interest to the hat. 

So far, I am pleased with this outfit. I still have button holes to make, buttons to sew on, the embellishment for the hat to make and it all needs a good pressing. Then onto the clutch and shoes. All this sewing used 1 meter of fabric. 

I did set up the Featherweight sewing machine and did the scant 1/4" seam on it. I am now getting everything ready to sew the placemats on Tuesday. I will pack everything Monday morning as I have to take the car in for servicing on Monday afternoon. 

Knitting

I finished the vest last night. I didn't take as long as I had expected. 


I am going to make myself one in September using this yarn and this colour. (Bernat Baby Softee in Denim Marl)

It is soft and easy to knit. I've used this yarn a lot in doll clothes. 

I can now cast on and knit a doll's sweater using fine yarn and small needles. I did enjoy knitting a large project and will do more larger projects in the future. 

Thoughts

    I need to get out the hoses and water the boxes so I can start planting seeds. We have one cool morning in the next 7 days. I will start planting the plants on Wednesday. I know I will have to cover them from the heat and wind which is easy to do. 

    I am really annoyed that my back is sore. It slows me down and I don't like the pain. I am stretching it out to help as I hate to take medication for it. At least I am not hobbling, just walking carefully with pain. 

    I am hoping to have everything planted by June 2. It means I will be outside in the evenings planting giving all the plants overnight to adjust to being transplanted. We get rain starting June 3 and the plants will love that. 

Today

I am out to watch grandson play soccer today. I have to finish packing my lunch and get ready to be at their house by 10:30 a.m. I may get the hoses out tonight so I can water the boxes using a sprinkler vs hand watering. Ten minutes will be enough to get them wet. I hope to set up the doll's sweater on the needles but that depends on how tired and sore I will be after sitting for a long time on a bench. I am not complaining too loudly as I enjoy watching grandson play soccer. 

Until the next time...........................................................

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:52 AM

    What channel do you watch the Great British Sewing Beebon. I am in Edmonton and it shows it as being on Makeful channel on Sunday night but when I look into it a cosmetics doc is showing. Thanks so much.
    Donna Wicks

    ReplyDelete