Friday, May 05, 2023

A Wonderful Morning Out

 Yesterday was another cool, cloudy, and damp day. The high got to 7.8C. This morning it is cloudy and 4C. There is to be sunshine with a high of 10C. The weather is changing to warm and sunny for the weekend. 

Lifestyle

Yesterday morning I hauled the last two bags of weeds out to the street to be picked up. I then went and took grandson to school which is always enjoyable. Once home, my friend texted me and I ended up going to New Minas with her. 

Our first stop was at the Tartan Shop. She was delivering fleece blankets and fabric scarves to them. She does a lot of sewing for this company. While she waited for more fleece, we snooped around the shop. They have a wonderful variety of items for sale including including kitchen knives from the same company we bought ours from 30 years ago. 

We went to Walmart and the quilt shop before coming home. It was a wonderful trip that I thoroughly enjoyed. We chatted and laughed a lot which was mentally good for both of us. 

The dull weather has been hard on me the last two days. I just want to hibernate which is not good. I've pushed myself to do something every day. Yesterday it was laundering fabric and making pulled pork for dinner and the freezer. I also folded laundry. If I don't do things, I will sit, watch TV, and doze. 

I've lost another 2 lbs and have lost all the weight I gained while looking after the Spousal Unit. It has taken me almost 13 weeks to do it which is really good. When I meet my next goal, I will be getting my Fitbit as a reward. 

Daughter has let me know that the community next to them had the roads closed in and out of it for 48 hours. There was a culvert washed out and it took all the water with it. Equipment was brought in to clear the roads and they were opened to single lane traffic with a pilot car. The community once again pulled together though there is damage to areas of the community. 

Sewing

The trip to the quilt shop was fun. I took the cardinal quilt fabrics with me plus another piece I didn't have enough of it but I wanted something similar. I had two employees running around the store finding fabrics and I bought one. Pictures later on as I forgot to take a picture of it. I also looked at backing for the quilt and think I will settle with a grey fabric that has a texture to it. The shop also carries the white fabrics for the sheep quilt so I will be buying it a bit later on. 

I talked to one of the ladies about taking part in Tuesday's sewing with others. I let her know my fears of the past and why I actually quit quilting. She suggested a simple project (placemats) so I can sew and visit. My friend told them that when I want to learn something I research it to death and then do it. I liked that as it sums me up. We also talked about using my mom's Singer Featherweight and the store owner services them. I was thrilled.

My big job in the afternoon was to set up the Featherweight. I need a new foot pedal as it is not safe. The electrical cords are cracking from old age. After looking on the internet, I ordered a new one. I did clean the machine. Though I haven't used it for years, I was surprised at how much fluff I got out of it. I am sure it hadn't been cleaned for years especially around the feed dogs. 

I am going to take it in to be serviced as I do not know how to oil it properly and it needs to be done. It also needs the repair man to do a thorough cleaning on it as I won't take it apart any further. 

I laundered the fabrics for my next projects. I have the doll's outfit, son-in-law's quilt, and a piece of the placemat fabric done. I am ready to start starching fabric when the weather is warm and sunny. I will start with the placemat fabric and work my way up to the quilts. 

I stitched around the back yoke I embroidered so it is outlined and then I sprayed the pencil marks with the solution I bought. After I had removed 90% of the marks, I soaked it in a solution of dish soap and warm water. It is ready for me to press and baste up the bottom edge. Once done, I can mail it to daughter.

Knitting

I knit on the vest last night and it is slow going. I really have to think as it is reverse to the other side. I think through each row to make sure I am not decreasing on the neck side when it should be the arm side. 

I knit 14 rows last night and was really tired mentally when I was done for the night. 

Thoughts

    I was watching a program on interior decorating. I really don't have the budget to do what she does, I can still learn from it. I love blue and when I saw an old blue and white rail fence quilt displayed I knew this pattern had to go on my list. One of the first quilts I made was a rail fence. But, it is way down on my list as I have 4 others to make first. I could also be done and stretched on an artist canvas as a wall hanging. 

    With sunshine in the forecast for next week, I will be out in the yard weeding, spraying, and preparing pots and bins for flowers and vegetables. I want to set up the deck also. It is time to bring out the furniture. 

Today

I have to clean the dining area today. Top to bottom beginning with the heat pump head. It will be nice to have the room clean. I want to tidy up the sewing room and work on the back yoke so it will be done. I want to knit tonight. It is a stay at home day for me. 

Until the next time........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment