Wednesday, May 31, 2023

A Lovely Day of Sewing

Yesterday was sunny and warm. The high got to 22.2C. 
This morning, the temperature 9C. Today it going to be sunny and warm with a high of 25C. The wind is shifting and we will have smoke from the fires here later today.  

Lifestyle

I was busy yesterday morning as I had to make myself a lunch, tidy up the kitchen, water the vegetable bed, and load the car. When I watered the vegetable bed, the cucumber bed had been dug in. Not where the seeds were but between the tomato cages. I am assuming a cat was having a little digging spree. 

I was in New Minas for the day. I left in good time and had to detour at the 2nd exit I came to. The detour took us into Windsor, down the Main Street, across the bridge, through Falmouth, and back on to the highway. It was bumper to bumper through town as the highway is busy. 

I had dinner with family last night. It was yellow Thai curry with rice. It was delicious and we had a lovely dinner. I left to being razzed I had to be home by 7 pm to water the garden like the Spousal Unit used to and they went out to do some work at the pool. 

Elliott wasn't happy being left for hours on end yesterday and he has let me know by giving me a bite when I went to pet him. 

Sewing

I spent the day at the quilt shop with the owner. She did paper work while I sewed in her long arm room. We chatted a lot about many things. The classroom had an embroidery class in it which we popped over several times to admire their work. I got 4 placemat tops sewn while I was there. 

I glued the strips together before sewing and loved the stability it gave me. I also used a press pen with a starch solution in it to get the seams to lie very flat. I am pleased with how they look. 

My job over the next two weeks is to get them pressed well and sandwiched together ready to quilt. I need to cut out the table runner, bowl cozies, pot holders, and mug rugs (which I will embroider). If there is any fabric left, I will make hot pads, if not, I will embroider mug rugs to put into a tub as inventory. 

I bought this fabric for a shirt for me. I need to start sewing a few clothes for myself. 

Knitting

No knitting last night as I had to cuddle Elliott and my hands were cramping due to squeezing the glue bottle. 

Thoughts

    We are not only under a provincial fire ban, we are under a travel ban in woods, parks, etc. Fires have been set by people since the fire ban went out. 

    I had thought the 2nd fire was in the northern part of the province but it is in the south west part. It is huge (10 000 hectares), out of control, and the equivalent to fires that went through western Canada. People are working around the clock getting animals to safety and getting some back to their owners. The exhibition grounds here have 50 horses stabled in them at this time. People have rallied to get feed, bedding, etc. which is wonderful. I saw horse trailers on the move when I was driving to and from New Minas Monday and yesterday. 

    The fire near Halifax is still out of control and a 2nd fire has started closer to Bedford. People have been evacuated from the area. We are still safe and a distance from the fire. But that could change in no time flat. I am going to put together what I need to take with me in the next two days just in case. 

    Since moving to Nova Scotia in 2017, I have experienced:

        The hottest summer on record

        The coldest day on record

        Two hurricanes both of which have had their names retired. 

        The worst fires provincially

        Rainfall so heavy it caused flooding in our area

        Covid

    I have experienced flooding, cold weather, and fires in the past but it was over many years. This has been in 5.5 years. 

Today

 I am at home today. I need to sort out the hose situation as family needs two of my hoses. I need to do some housework and unpack what I took to sew on yesterday. I should mix weed killer so I can spray a bit tomorrow. I do hope to knit tonight. I need to be busy today doing things here rather than racing around getting other things done. 

Until the next time.......................................................  

No comments:

Post a Comment