Monday, May 08, 2023

Starching Fabrics

 Yesterday was warm and sunny with some wind. The high got to 21.8C. This morning it is cloudy and 7C. We are to have some showers and a high of 17C. We have been having more wind than I really care for. At least the wind keeps it feeling cool. 

Lifestyle

I started the morning out by doing the balance sheet. It did give me some troubles but I finally got it figured out. I'm happy to have that out of the way for this week.

I cleaned more of the hardwood floors. The cleaner is doing a great job and I need to buy more. I am doing the floor on my hands and knees which is helping my hip a lot. Less pain as I am stretching all the right areas. 

I had wanted to spray weeds and weed whack yesterday. The wind didn't allow me to spray and I just didn't do the weed whacking. I will get at it all this week. I am hoping the company will be around soon to mow the lawn as it is getting long. 

The neighbour got chickens again this year and has them loose in his yard. They are small and hanging around the tub, food and water. If they come into the yard, I will be taking action as I am not tolerating them roaming in my yard and ruining the garden this year. This neighbour needs to realize he needs a proper chicken yard for his birds if he wants them in a subdivision. 

My glucose reading were low yesterday. They averaged out at just under 5.0. I'm okay with that as it means my body is looking after the carbs I eat. I lost 2 lbs this past week of which I am happy about. I am still waiting to hear from the hospital for an appointment with the Wellness Center. I haven't called the dietician at the grocery store as I have been busy with so many other things.

Sewing

I starched fabrics late in the morning. I started out with the sprayer but it wouldn't work. I tried and tried and tried. So into the garbage it goes. I finally soaked the fabrics in a dish which was a painful experience. I got them done and hung on the drying rack on the deck. There was a gust of wind and it knocked the drying rack over. The fabrics didn't get dirty. I did leave them out for a bit longer to dry in the sunshine and wind. I brought the whole thing in and let them dry in the kitchen and then in the open window in the dining area. All the fabrics are quite stiff which will make piecing so much easier for me.

The drying rack is narrow but there wasn't a wider one that I could see in the store. I have to fold the fabric to fit on the racks which means it takes longer to dry. In the summer it won't take that long. I will just have to flip the fabrics around so they dry evenly.

Starching the fabrics needs to rethought. I grabbed a baking dish to starch in and it was too small. I will be cleaning a tub for that job. It takes a lot of starch as the fabric absorbs a lot of liquid. I did squish the liquid out of the fabric, check to make sure all areas were wet and let it drip onto a towel while drying. 

I pressed the three pieces that I am using for the cardinal embroidery. I am using a dry iron and not all of the wrinkles would come out. I pondered a bit and decided to heat up the Cricut heat press. It helped but the fabric still showed some wrinkles. I sprayed the pieces with Best Press and put the press on them again. No wrinkles at all. 

While cutting out the pieces for the embroidery, I realized I can cut 4 - 3.5" squares from the left over fabric. I have one more square to cut and then I will have enough squares to embroider barring no issues. I still have to starch the remaining fabric so I can finish cutting the 96 - 3.5" squares. The red dot and cardinal fabric needs to be starched when I do the next batch of starching.

I interfaced the yokes for daughter and hand stitched the curved piece under. It is now ready to be sent back to her. It takes a while to do but I really enjoyed doing the hand basting. 

The foot pedal/power cord arrived before 3 pm yesterday. I was shocked that Amazon Prime delivered on Sundays. Two days from when I ordered to it being delivered. Now to play a bit on the Featherweight. Once I cut out the pieces for the placemats, I can go and have a day at the quilt shop sewing them together. 

Knitting

I got all the decreases done on the right front and am now just knitting according to the pattern rows. I have 8 more pattern repeats to do and it will be done. It is heavy and warm to knit on warm days. But doing some each day will have it done before it gets too hot to knit. 

Today

I am going to order the dishwasher this morning. I will also go and get more product for cleaning floors. I hope to work on pressing the starched fabrics today and knit tonight. With showers in the forecast, I can't spray. If it isn't raining when I get home, I will go out and remove the weeds under the deck and in the beds around the house and shed. 

Until the next time...................................................

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:41 PM

    I wonder if the fabric starching could be done in your bathroom. Will the drying rack fit in your tub? Use the sink to soak the fabric, and hang the fabric to dry in the tub?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha12:14 AM

    I am sorry my comment didn't include my name. I'm Martha from Louisiana.

    ReplyDelete