Sunday, February 05, 2023

What A Storm

Yesterday's weather was brutal. The sun did shine a bit but we had a lot of snow squalls and high winds. The winds continued until sometime during the night. The low got to -25.5C with a windchill of -40C. The high got to -14.7C with a windchill of -24C. This morning it is -12C with a windchill of -18C. We are to have the wind shift to the south and a high of 0C. 

Lifestyle

Our biggest fear happened yesterday morning at 7:20. The power went out. I was scared it would be off for hours due to the weather conditions but 20 minutes later it was back on. A huge sigh of relief as I didn't have to worry about anything horrid happening. 

I did 4 loads of laundry yesterday as I changed the bed. I needed something to do besides look out the windows and watch the wind blow the snow down the street. All the laundry was folded and the bed made. 

When I opened one curtain, I saw ice on the window. The humidity was too high in the house and the moisture froze on the windows behind the curtains. I opened curtains just enough to allow the heat to warm up the windows. Towels went on window ledges and I started going around and wiping moisture off the windows. I set the humidifier to 40% and by mid afternoon the windows were dry. I noticed other houses that had curtains and blinds pulled had the same icing up problem. 

In between wiping windows, I started to clean up the linen closet. I went downstairs and brought up my hoard of disinfectants I had bought during the pandemic. 

I use a lot of wipes and have gone through most of what I had hoarded. The spray will last me a lifetime but I do use it. Not as much as I did when we had respite workers in but I do spray the house every once in a while. It is now in the linen closet so I can get at it easily and know when I need to buy more. 

Sewing

No sewing yesterday. 

Knitting

I did knit more on the socks yesterday. I could put them down when I needed to do a few things in the house. The lace pattern is starting to show up nicely and I quite like it; very simple and going up the outside of the sock only. 

I have 6 of the 16 lace pattern repeats done on both socks. 

Looking at the top picture, I have to go back and see if I have a mistake in the pattern. If there is one, I will be ripping it back to fix it. Nothing new for me. I have no deadline so I'm not worrying about that.

Thoughts

    While watching the storm. yesterday, I thought about some of the brutal storms we had while living in Dawson Creek. I never thought I'd see one like those here in Nova Scotia. Records were broken for how cold it got. I am glad I could stay inside and keep warm.

    I am still working slowly on the clutter upstairs and putting items away. I pulled the table further out from the wall and put an end table from the living room under one of the windows. It will become a charging area. I have the basket for it and am looking forward to having a place where I can charge everything. No more cords trailing across the floor. It is also where I will put the computer when I am not using it. 

    I did a lot of my physio exercises the past few days to help with the pain I was having in my hip, back, and knee. It really helped doing them and I now know I need to be doing them every day whether I want to or not. 

Today

I have to do the balance sheet first thing. I also need to collect all the towels and put them into the dryer, fold them and put the away. None got dirty or soaking wet. I want to work on the horse and do some knitting after I find something to clean upstairs. I also need to do my exercises a couple of time today. 

Until the next time.......................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment