Monday, February 27, 2023

Fiddly Sewing

 Yesterday started out with sunshine and then it hazed over. The high got to -8C which was nice. This morning the temperature was -17C and we are to have a high of -6C and mainly sunny. We broke the low temperature, once again, yesterday. 

Lifestyle

I got the balance sheet done yesterday morning and everything is filed. I have to finish it on Wednesday to close the month. 

Once the balance sheet was done, I cleaned the kitchen. I wiped, polished, and put things away. Other than the floor, the room is clean and tidy. I am quite happy with how I have set up. It is working well for me. 

I was sore yesterday for some unknown reason. Not bad pain but sore. I stretched in bed last night, heard a noise in my hip/back and the pain decreased to nearly nothing. Did something pop into place? Or something unpinch? I really don't know but it is nice to be almost pain free. 

I walked down to my neighbour's yesterday afternoon without my cane. It is nice to know that my driveway, the road, and their driveway is about 99% clear of snow and safe to walk on. 

Sewing

I spent my time sewing under pants for the doll. The yellow one turned out to be a test as it was bikini and I don't like them that short. I tried different methods of adding the elastic onto the legs and top. 

I like how I did the elastic on the legs. They look the best in my opinion. 


I did them in the traditional way with turning under and zig zagging the elastic in place. A bit bulky but not bad. I did the front elastic the same way but held it in place with the lightening stitch (tiny zig zag) and I'm not as happy with that. 

The back elastic I did with the elastic turned to the right side and lightening stitched in place. I'm okay with that if I had used a zig zag stitch. 

I looked at the pattern realizing that the line I had drawn was to make these longer. 


I have made a new pattern and cut out a new pair of panties. I also looked at how commercial ones are made and am going to try to attach the elastic that way. Though they use a cover stitch, I will zig zag the elastic onto the front lining up the plain edge of the elastic to the edge of the fabric. 

What did I learn in this exercise?

    A chrome universal needle size 70/10 worked perfectly

    Use a leader to help your fabric stay out of the larger hole in the stitch plate. 

    Use a dress makers awl to help guide the fabric and elastic and to keep the edges even. 

    1/4" wash away tape is great but you need to make sure your seams are 1/4" to hide it. 

    Take your time. These fiddly little seams are not to be rushed. 

I took the horse and thread to my neighbour so she can quilt it for me. I have to buy her a spool of thread which she can keep. I also gave her needles for her machine which are her favourite. Mine too. She is looking forward to quilting it where as I was dreading it. 

Knitting

I knit on the sweater last night and am ready to do the pattern on the bottom of the body. Sixteen rows and that part will be done. Than the sleeves. This test pattern has gone fast which is sad as I have enjoyed it very much. 

Thoughts

    I watched a video on "fantasy self". I have several fantasy self thoughts that I need to set aside. One is my weight. I have now set a realistic goal for my weight. I won't be the same size/weight as I was when I was 20. The second is being a free motion quilter. Doing free motion quilting is not me. I like straight lines and will continue to do them. I will, on occasion, make a sandwich and play with free motion quilting. But to do a big quilt will probably never happen. I will happily piece quilt tops together and pay someone else to quilt them. 

    I noticed that it is lightening up at just after 6 a.m. It was exciting to know that we will be having the spring equinox in just over 3 weeks. I remember how much I enjoyed watching the sun come up a bit more each day when driving to work when we lived in Dawson Creek. 

    I lost weight again this week. I am happy that I have less fluid on my body and, in the long run, it will be healthier for me overall. I am not craving sweets and am enjoying trying new ideas and keeping them low fat. 

Today

I may go grocery shopping later this morning, sew this afternoon, and knit tonight. I am hoping to clean the bathroom but we wait and see if I have time. I'll be home starting Wednesday as we are to have snow once again. Housework and shovel snow will the mantra on those days. 

Until the next time........................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment