Friday, February 03, 2023

The Ears Are Done

 Yesterday was sunny except for a very short period of time when a snow flurry went through. The high got to -0.7C (mid afternoon). This morning it is 1C. We are under an extreme cold warning and a snow squall warning. The cold weather will be here around noon. 

Lifestyle

It was a rough day yesterday as both knees were so sore I could hardly do the stairs. I persisted though and was out the door for a hair cut, to the bank, and home just after 10 a.m. I swept floors, did some tidying up, and rested. Last night I did some exercises for both my knees and hips and it did help some. I hope they both feel better today. The storms are really making me have bad flare-ups. 

At noon I got a phone call from one of the team that was in place last year when the Spousal Unit was ill. She was checking up on me to see how I was doing. We had a lovely chat for an hour and I know that I am now turning the corner to great memories and a life of my own in a good way. 

Sewing

I started tracing the ears for the horse just before lunch and finished after lunch. There were 10 pieces in total that I needed to fuse onto to the fabric. I had 11 and after doing a cross check, I had traced one piece twice. Down to the sewing room to fuse them onto the fabric. I had to retrace one piece as I didn't notice one of the parts was off the fabric. Redid that one. All pieces cut out and the fun started. I kept missing pieces -- they were hiding on me. I finally corralled them all, retraced one piece (which I found at the end of the day). I got both the ears done at almost 4 pm. What a lot of fiddling around. But they look great when I got them done. 

I have less than 25 pieces left to trace. All are layering of the mane on the right side. I am thinking of tracing them all and putting the pieces into zip bags so I don't loose them. That will allow me to put on 10 pieces a day until they are all on. 

Knitting

I set up a new pair of socks. I worked out the number of stitches I needed for the pattern with the number of stitches I cast on. I got the first cuff done and love the colour of the yarn. It is called seashell colours. Sand with a hint of blue. 

You can barely see the blue though it is showing up in the picture. I cast on the second sock and have both cuffs done. I am ready to start the lacy pattern. I can set them aside when the test pattern comes in. 

Thoughts

    Once again, this blog page showed up on my Pinterest page. I am a project purchaser who has a stash. I am trying to sew down the stash so I can buy for one to two projects at a time. I love to get the fabric and notions that are current. I am also happy that my stash has mostly pieces in it that I love. It makes it easier to sew projects when I can pick up fabric I love. I will be happy when I have it sewn up so I can pick up the fabric for projects to work on. 

    The phone call I had yesterday was positive for me. I am healing from the trauma of last year, have great memories of the Spousal Unit, and know I am ready to move forward with what I want to do. I know I will have spells of loneliness and will need to get out to do things. I also want to try new things this year both inside and outside the house. 

    The horse head was weighing heavily on me as I still know it is project that I shouldn't have bought when I did. I always felt guilty not making it but knew it was beyond my capabilities. I know now I can do it though I worry about making a big mistake but so far so good. I am trying to set a realistic goal but haven't been worried if I miss a day or two working on it. I will get it done now that I've started it and gained skills to make it. But never again will I tackle a project like this. 

Today

I am going to do laundry, clean the bathroom, trace pattern pieces, and knit. With the cold weather arriving, I will turn off the heat pump mid afternoon and turn up the baseboard heat to keep warm. I have everything I need for until this system passes. 

Until the next time................................................................. 

No comments:

Post a Comment