Sunday, February 26, 2023

Cut, Cut, Sew, Sew

 Yesterday was sunny and cold. The high got to -11.2C. We did break the record for the coldest temperature since 1997. This morning it is -19C and we are to have a high of -7C. The high is suppose to get to -7C. We should break the record for the coldest temperature again today. This cold spell leaves on Monday. 

Lifestyle

I was tired and sore yesterday. I wanted to nap but couldn't. Instead I cooked chicken using the Instant Pot. In the afternoon I made chicken tenders and fries in the air fryer. Comfort food that met my eating habits I am acquiring. 

Mid afternoon I went out to shovel the driveway. I had made one pass when my friend stopped to talk briefly. The draft was too cold to stand around. I had done a bit of the driveway when our neighbour drove by. Out jumped his son (age 12) and he grabbed his shovel and helped me clean the driveway in no time flat. I am so grateful for friends and family. They make sure I am able to do chores like shovelling snow but come to help me so the job goes faster. 

Sewing

I was in the sewing room before lunch as I knew I would be shovelling snow in the afternoon. I finished up the towel toppers and all I need to do is buttonholes and buttons. I need to buy buttons on Tuesday. 

After lunch, I cut out and sewed together two potholders using up the left over fabric from the mixer cover. I have them pinned ready to sew together when I am ready to change the needle in the sewing machine. I use a smaller needle when sewing cottons. 

They will be very plain as I am trying to use up scraps as I go along. But they will be used. 

Before going out to shovel, I grabbed the pattern for doll panties and the panties I will be using for fabric. One was ripped apart so I pressed it and put on the front pattern. 


In my ignorance (6 years ago), I bought smaller sized girls panties and can only get 1 pair of doll's sized panties out of each one. But I don't care as I'm using up the stash. There will be 2 more pairs made also. 

I will be following the instructions that go with the pattern and I hope to have them done in the next couple of days. It almost takes longer to deconstruct the panties than to prep them for sewing. 

I have the fabric laundered for the placemats, hot pads and pot holders I am going to sew next. I need to buy batting for them so will try to get that on Tuesday also. 

My friend is going to quilt the horse's head for me. She has been thinking about it as she found some thread in her stash to use on it. I am grateful for her creativity and will stick to things I can handle. It was fun to stretch myself with this project but a creative quilter I am not.

Knitting

I worked on the sweater last night, found a mistake and reported it. I am now finished the first 2 increases under the arm to give the body a bit of a flare. 


This sweater can be worn with the buttons down the back or in the front. 

Thoughts

    I had a sad spell yesterday morning and shed a few tears. I read posts I had written about how Alzheimer's had affected the Spousal Unit mentally and behaviourally. I have come to hate the disease and know he had no control over what he said or did. I also realized how strong we were to look after him for so long. I am grateful for all the strength and love we had to keep him home for as long as we did. 

    I am tired of the cold weather and wish it would leave. It makes doing things so much harder. I am looking forward to spring when I can turn off the heat, open the windows, and enjoy the freshness spring brings. 

    My pain threshold has been quite low compared to what it has been. Yesterday's pain was probably from the next storm coming in. Or the barometric pressure falling or rising quickly. It was gone by last night and this morning it is minimal. I am hoping that it will continue to be minimal so I can strengthen my muscles. I only stretch when I am sore. 

Today

The goal is to do the balance sheet, clean the kitchen, fold more laundry, sew, and knit. I doubt if I will go out as it is too cold. If I do, it will be in the afternoon when it is warmer. I need nothing today. 

Until the next time...................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment